Saying hello creates a positive impact, reduces effect of loneliness

When was the last time you said “hello” to a stranger or someone you have not been in contact with for a while?

Everyone experiences loneliness at some point in their lives. For some people, these periods of loneliness drastically affect their health and outlook on life. Unsurprisingly, studies have shown that having an ample amount of connections with people helps increase longevity over time.

Since loneliness is an issue in our society, a group of celebrities have joined forces to create a campaign called “Just Say Hello.” Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, M.D., and Ellen DeGeneres are only three of the large group of celebrities who are promoting this superb campaign. The campaign is all about challenging people to simply say “hello” to a stranger while walking on the street or calling a friend they have not talked to in a long time. People can videotape their hello and then send it to the campaign where it will be posted on YouTube.

Since The University of Alabama is such a large school, why are students still feeling lonely in their everyday lives? Students are always texting or calling someone instead of engaging in conversation with the people they see in their daily lives. Technology has made it so easy for students to communicate with other students without seeing their faces for long periods of time. Another reason for this loneliness is the typical college life. Students have so much on their plates, and it is hard for them to sit down and have a simple conversation with someone they have not seen in a while. Saying hello to a stranger on the bus or in the library can be too awkward and just embarrassing.

As a freshman, there were times this and last semester where I was lonely because I felt like I got lost in the crowd. As I became more comfortable with the college environment, I learned to embrace the new students I see everyday. Now that I start conversations with people on the bus, at the library and even at the gym, I am amazed by the inspiring stories and lives they all live. If I did not have the courage as a freshman to simply say “hello” to strangers, I would have not met a number of great people that keep me motivated every day.

Having the courage to say “hello” to strangers is tough, but meeting people is now important for their quality of life. It is a daunting task, but the simple word may brighten up someone’s day. As part of the Capstone, we are all a community striving to achieve excellence in many facets of education. It is important for all of us to come together as a school that combats the feelings of loneliness. Next time the feeling of loneliness strikes, “Just Say Hello” to the person sitting next to you.

For more information on the “Just Say Hello” campaign, go to oprah.com/packages/just-say-hello.html.