Union protests outside Presidential Village

Four members of the Local 48, a labor union of the Sheet Metal Workers’ International Association, protested the termination of Todd Gardner outside the Presidential Village dormitory construction site Tuesday. The event was supposed to be a protest in conjunction with UA College Democrats, although student members did not attend.

Gardner, who was employed by H&M Mechanical and Southern Precision Staffing, was allegedly laid off after it was discovered that he was talking to co-workers about forming a union. The termination would potentially violate the National Labor Relations Act, according to the charge filed with the National Labor Relations Board.

(See also “Dorms see uptick in weekend vandalism“)

According to the report, both employers interrogated Gardner about his union sentiments, isolated him from his coworkers and instructed their employees to report any union activity among fellow workers.

“Those are all violations of worker’s rights,” union organizer Robert Bohannon said.

Although the incident allegedly happened on the Presidential Village dormitory construction site, H&M Mechanical and Southern Precision Staffing do not have a contract with the University. According to an emailed statement from Cathy Andreen, director of media relations, both companies are subcontractors.

(See also “UA has deep history of protests, demonstrations“)

“UA has no contract with either company,” Andreen said. “Construction contracts are not let by [a request-for-proposal] process, but are awarded to the low bidder according to Title 39 of the Alabama Code. The University expects all contractors to follow all rules and regulations as required by law.”

The Crimson White received an email Friday about the protest, claiming that UA College Democrats was hosting the event. Bohannon said the union reached out to UA College Democrats to obtain a grounds use permit.

“We’re about raising public awareness,” protest participant Mike Jeske said. “People have these rights, and they’re under illegal attack.”

Bohannon said they would have liked for members of College Democrats to attend, but were happy to just get the permit.

Local 48 is a labor union of the Sheet Metal Workers’ International Association headquartered in Birmingham.

(See also “Trustees approve more construction projects“)