Nothing like a view from the cheap seats

Alcohol sales are not allowed at SEC sporting events, which is unfortunate because many other colleges and conferences have used alcohol sales to enhance the atmosphere of their ball games. The University of Louisiana, West Virginia and Colorado State have all generated greater revenue, enhanced game time atmosphere and renewed their dying fan bases by simply allowing beer sales at sporting events. Nevertheless, the SEC holds on firmly to its Southern values and refuses to allow alcohol sales.

While there are plenty of successful Alabama teams, University of Alabama football generates the most revenue, which it then doles out to other areas of the athletic administration that lack a solid fan base and funding. In my opinion, this business strategy is backwards. Instead of appealing to an individual team’s needs, UA athletics has decided to focus on the football team’s needs and let the wealth trickle down. While I commend the trickle-down strategy with concerns to economics, I believe it has prevented many UA sports teams from excelling.

With that being said, I commend The University of Alabama’s baseball administration on finding the necessary loophole around SEC rules to revitalize its dying baseball fan base. The baseball team was really thinking outside the box on this issue, or should I say outside the diamond? By building a lawn behind the right field wall that does not require a ticket for entry, the baseball team was able to circumvent the SEC rule on no alcohol sales at SEC events.

Since the addition of the new “cheap seats,” attendance has almost tripled, and the team has yet to lose a series at home. This level of success is astounding, but I was not surprised. Here’s why: As a college student, I am greatly burdened by financial constraints. This weekend I had $12 in my bank account. So when I heard there was a baseball game this Sunday I could attend for free and bring my own beer, I thought it was a lie, because The University of Alabama and the “F” word (free) have never been used in the same sentence.

Despite my disbelief, I decided to check out Sunday’s baseball game, and I was in for a delightful surprise. Rather than purchasing a $20 ticket and paying $8 per beverage, like I would at a Birmingham Baron’s game, I was able to attend the game without a ticket, and I spent a total of $4.99 on six beers that my friend and I split.

I commend the baseball administration on appealing directly to the demographics of its strongest fan base: UA students. They finally understand that we want a comfortable, free athletic event where we can drink socially and support the Tide.

I talked to starting center fielder and lead-off batter Georgie Salem to get his personal opinion of the new fan section. He said, “It’s nice to turn around in the outfield and see a bunch of my friends enjoying the game and showing their support. This never happened last year. Now we [the team] get pumped up during every close home game. It means a lot to me that the University would make baseball such a priority. The hundreds of hours that we put into playing baseball for the University deserve some type of recognition.”

So there you have it. Free seats, increased fan attendance, improved team performance and positive player feedback are all pros of the new “Cheap Seats.” However, there is one setback. Last Friday, AL.com columnist Michael Casagrande conducted a video interview with one of the students who attended the game in the “Cheap Seats.” Casagrande targeted a student at the game and decided to interview him, despite the kid’s blatant lack of sobriety. The student tried his best to answer the questions to what is, most likely, his first and only video interview. However, in his inebriated state of mind, he struggled to highlight even the most basic advantages of the new seating area. Casagrande later published the video, along with a condescending article titled “Experience the party (and beer funnels) in the new right-field Alabama baseball seats.”

Casagrande, rather than interview the drunk kid next time, why don’t you interview one of the other 1,499 students who is enjoying the game? Students like myself, who would be glad to express how grateful we are to attend a free baseball game and have a cheap drink with friends in a comfortable, energetic and safe environment.

Don’t get me wrong. I do enjoy the finer things in life, but when it comes to Alabama baseball, there is nothing like a view from the cheap seats.

Austin Barranco is a senior majoring in finance.