Vegetarians must eat variety of foods to sustain nutrition

Every day, students are faced with food choices that prompt them to question what is going to give them energy, what types of foods are going to be good for their health and, simply, what food will taste good. However, some students are amping up their simple food choices to a higher level by almost completely altering their eating habits in cutting meat out of their regular diets.

People choose this type of eating lifestyle for a variety of reasons, such as to lose weight or personal beliefs about the way animals are treated. Vegetarianism is also suggested to be a healthier lifestyle by some dietitians. The vegetarian diet works for some students, but many choose to go back to eating their favorite meat products shortly after their vegetarian forays.

Changing your eating habits is a difficult transition because you are giving up the foods your body wants and will crave in an instant. Morgan Casavant, a senior majoring in advertising, said it is important to research and familiarize yourself with the types of food you have to replace with other nutrients and the sacrifices that come with being a vegetarian.

“It is important to gradually change your eating habits, not change every single thing you eat in one night,” she said.

Casavant suggested eating meatless for one meal every week. It can be as simple as substituting tofu for lunch instead of chicken. After a while, your body will get used to the process, and it will be much easier to make those types of food choices.

Casavant said she also struggled with finding vegetarian-friendly options when out with friends. Salads often don’t give you all of your daily nutrients, so sometimes you have to get creative with the menu. Try ordering vegetable side items in combination with a bread and cheese plate.

“When I go out with my friends, sometimes I have to order just a salad while everyone else eats burgers and wings; you have to be committed before you decide to take on the lifestyle,” Casavant said.

Many people do not commit to the vegetarian lifestyle because they think they have to eat salads all the time. If students are committed, they can make wholesome meals and snacks with vegetarian products that taste delicious.

Some examples of healthy vegetarian diet staples are: eggs, beans, nuts, pasta, seeds and dried fruit. Getting adequate nutrients is important, so having a variety of different vegetarian foods is key to sustaining the diet. These ingredients are great salad toppings that can help sustain a healthy diet.