Bentley is the best candidate

By Austin Gaddis

Many Alabama Republicans were pleasantly surprised when the voting results for the June 1st primary showed Robert Bentley sustaining his narrow lead over favored opponent Tim James. Now, after a long process of recounts, Robert Bentley has finally been certified the runner-up in the primary and will face Bradley Byrne in a run-off election in July.

Bentley is without a doubt the best candidate to face Ron Sparks in the November general election. Bentley’s clean campaign strategy resonates well with voters and his stances on issues critical to the state are very popular. Bentley has never done anything during his tenure in the state house to upset voters — which will be a challenge for opponents trying to hurt his political credibility.

Bentley also has real experience in working across the aisle during his time in Montgomery. He authored the Reemployment Act of 2010 (HB 260), which is aimed at putting Alabamians back to work. This bill was passed unanimously in the House and Senate. According to Bentley’s campaign, “The Reemployment Act provides incentives to businesses to hire individuals collecting unemployment or whose unemployment benefits have expired.

“Under HB 260, businesses will receive an income tax deduction of 50 percent of the gross wages paid to each individual hired from these categories who remains with the business for 12 consecutive months.” Since these individuals would be paying state and federal income taxes instead of collecting unemployment, a large part of the deduction will be offset.

Bentley’s stance on social issues is also a plus. When addressing the need for an education lottery, Bentley states that, “I am personally opposed to gambling. Because of the legislature’s failure to address the issue, the people of Alabama must decide at the ballot box on a yes or no vote whether to allow gambling in any form.” Bentley offers a personal view of how he feels, but also realizes the need for the people of Alabama to address and vote on this issue.

He also offers realistic approaches to other issues we face such as immigration, transportation and infrastructure reform, ethics reform and protecting our constitutional rights. Bentley has signed a “no new tax” pledge and will refuse to take a salary until Alabama is at full employment, which is 5.5%.

Bentley, as he is a doctor, understands the flaws in our healthcare system and will be able to give first-hand experience and meaningful insight into reforming our healthcare system to ensure that Obamacare is not shoved into our state without proper oversight. At the same time, he will work to ensure that every Alabamian is able to afford health insurance.

Bentley’s campaign platform is very realistic and one that fits Alabama and our needs very well. He has a proven ability to lead and work across the aisle in order to ensure that progress is being made. Alabama needs a governor that will rid Montgomery of corruption and make our state better every day. Alabama needs a governor like Dr. Robert Bentley.

Austin Gaddis is a sophomore majoring in public relations and communications studies.