Oz to feature local soul

Local record store Oz Music will transform from an everyday music shop to a live music venue Tuesday for a concert featuring St. Paul and the Broken Bones.

Paul Janeway, lead vocalist of St. Paul and the Broken Bones, said the band’s sound is soul music. Janeway said his progression out of gospel music helped him find his true passion in the music he makes now.

“I went back to my roots where I was comfortable; and that, without the religious side, kind out puts you in soul music,” Janeway said. “And that’s where I ended up now. For me it was a natural progression. It felt seamless.”

(See also “Local radio stations provide platform for area musicians“)

The band, originally from Birmingham, believes in supporting local institutions. The artwork for their recent Vinyl LP release was created by Yellowhammer Creative, a Birmingham business.

“I think there’s a lot of quality work being done in the state of Alabama, done by people that are from here or that have transferred here,” Janeway said. “I think its important to keep those people involved and as we grow we want to do what we can to stay in the state of Alabama.”

Jason Patton, owner of Oz Music, said he also believes in the power of staying true to your roots and local community.

“I think it’s multiple things. It’s a way to give back to the community by having live music. I think it also kind of puts us in the community, also supporting local artists,” Patton said.

(See also “The Civil Wars attract crowds to Oz Music“)

Patton cites Alabama-based bands who started off playing local venues and are now drawing musical attention to the state for paving the way for future local bands.

“You have bands like the Alabama Shakes, John Paul White from the Civil Wars and now Saint Paul,” Patton said.

The Alabama music scene is changing, embracing a new youthful face that brings an original style to the scene, Patton said.

“It’s a younger crowd that’s getting involved, which is a good thing, and they are also developing more original music,” Patton said. “If you’ve got a younger crowd into live original music, I think it will help foster that in the future also.”

St. Paul and the Broken Bones will perform Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Oz Music. Those who pre-order their CD or LP will receive a priority line wristband.

(See also “University full of free opportunities for live music on campus“)