Alabama baseball claims series vs. Saint Louis

After one-run games on Friday and Saturday, the No. 21 Alabama baseball team looked like it was going to be in another late-inning game until the seventh inning Sunday. Alabama scored seven runs in that inning and took control of the game to earn a 9-3 win, taking the season opening series over Saint Louis.

“We needed it big,” sophomore Chance Vincent said. “We lost Friday, but we bounced back Saturday and Sunday.”

(See also “Alabama falls 2-1 in season opener after long rain delay“)

Senior Austin Smith drove a single through the center of the diamond for Alabama’s first two runs. The two-run lead did not last long though. Saint Louis put two runs of its own on the board in the next inning.

Alabama starter Ray Castillo was taken out quickly after three innings of work and replaced by sophomore Jon Keller. He recorded four scoreless innings, giving up one hit in the process.

“The key to the game was Jonathan Keller coming out of the pen,” Alabama coach Mitch Gaspard. “He did a great job and settled things down.”

Zach Girrens came in for Saint Louis starter Josh Moore after five innings. He hit two batters to start the seventh inning and then gave up a two-run double to Vincent. He hit one more batter and was pulled. For Vincent, they were his first two RBIs of the season.

“It felt good,” Vincent said. “I put a good swing on it.”

Vincent’s double was just the start of a huge inning. The Crimson Tide batted around and scored a total of seven runs. Junior Ben Moore, sophomore Kyle Overstreet and senior Austen Smith all joined the party with RBIs of their own.

“It gave us confidence,” Vincent said. “We came as [a] team and put good swings on everything.”

The last time Alabama scored seven or more runs in an inning was 44 games ago on March 19, 2013, at Samford in a 15-7 win. The offensive explosion was the first offensive burst of the series.

Friday, Alabama lost 2-1 when an hour-and-45-minute rain delay took all the momentum away from Alabama.

The Tide claimed revenge Saturday. It was another nail biter and wasn’t decided until the bottom of the ninth when Wade Wass hit a walk-off single.

(See also “Wass lifts Alabama to first win of the season in walk-off fashion“)

The bullpen was a big part of success for Alabama this weekend. The bullpen pitched 17 innings and gave up only one run. Keller, freshman Nick Eicholtz and freshman Geoffrey Bramblett all pitched three or more innings in relief.

“We have some really good arms in there,” Keller said. “The bullpen is one of the strengths of our team.”

The team struggled with offense and starting pitching. Starting pitchers gave up seven earned runs in 10 innings of work over the weekend. Besides the seventh inning in Sunday’s game, the offense scored just five runs. The offense Sunday also benefited from walks and hit batters. The Crimson Tide only recorded five hits but had nine runs.

“Overall as a weekend, we got better,” Gaspard said. “But there is certainly plenty we can improve on.”

The next time Alabama takes the field will be next weekend. Alabama will host Stephan F. Austin for a three-game series in Tuscaloosa. First pitch for Friday is set for 6:05 p.m.

(See also “UA baseball team sees expectations rise for 2014 season“)