Toastmasters provide public speaking practice

You can find them in the back room of Rounder’s Bar on a Monday night. They will count your “ums,” ask you to step outside of your comfort zone, speak in front of the group and give feedback to your peers. They are a group of students who say they enjoy public speaking and together they compose the Capstone Toastmasters Club.

Jasmine Wells, vice president of public relations for the group, said Capstone Toastmasters is a peer-evaluated speaking club. It was established last fall as a chapter of Toastmasters International. Toastmasters clubs exist around the world and boast members like Chris Matthews of MSNBC, Peter Coors of Coors Brewing Company and Tom Monaghan, founder of Dominos Pizza.

“Public speaking skills are an essential key in winning over a group of people if you are planning on being very successful in the business world or any other situation that involves being a leader,” said Garret Brooks, vice president of Capstone Toastmasters. “The Toastmaster goal is to give people the tools and practice they will need in order to overcome the fear of speaking in public, which ultimately makes their person-to-person conversation skills flawless.”

(See also “Forensics team places 5th in national tournament“)

Every meeting begins with an introduction, and each person in attendance will stand up and give a short introduction speech. Members critique each other and provide peer reviews – counting filler words, pointing out areas of strength and giving recommendations for areas of weakness.

“Sometimes public speaking is really hard,” Wells said. “What people don’t understand is we laugh to each other. It’s a really close group. We just learn through each other.”

Toastmasters is an opportunity that continues after college graduation. Clubs exist all over the country and provide opportunities for further personal development.

(See also “Conference aims to develop students’ leadership skills“)

“The speech skills that I have obtained from Toastmasters will be the techniques I use when winning over the trust of a client and intelligently getting my point across to an audience of any sales team or sales meeting area,” Brooks said.

Brooks said watching new members transform from shy speakers into confident individuals is a highlight of the program. Clark Keator, a senior majoring in construction engineering and member of Capstone Toastmasters, said he felt the benefits were endless.

“Whether you are trying to get a girl’s number or making the biggest pitch of your business career, being able to effectively and confidently portray what’s in your head always happens through communication,” Keator said. “I don’t think you can begin to make a list of all the benefits that come from being a good public communicator.”

Capstone Toastmasters is open to students of any age, major and career interest. Meetings are held twice a month. The next meeting will be Feb. 17 at Rounders. Interested students should email [email protected] to receive information for the next meeting.

“The main thing I tell people is its not scary,” Wells said. “Public speaking is fun.”

(See also “Renovations to Rounders increase business“)