Our campus needs La Lola Loca Bama back

I miss Lola. Lola, formally known as La Lola Loca Bama, was the colorful food truck who graced campus with mobile Latin cuisine last year.

Lola sold tasty food for reasonable prices. She provided students with access to well-prepared lunch, dinner and snack options. Lola accepted Dining Dollars and Bama Cash, was open late on campus and boasted a glorious Twitter feed.

Lola was discontinued in November. Her disappearance has made my junior year on-campus dining markedly melancholy. I often find myself longing for Lola as I eat lunch on campus, elbow-to-elbow with a slew of fellow undergrads. Given how crowded dining halls can become during peak hours, Lola was a nice option for people who wanted to eat lunch while sitting on the Quad or walking to class.

Lola’s prolific social media accounts are another part of her legacy that I’ll never forget. Sometimes Lola’s spirited tweets about her location gave me time to plan a visit to Bama Dining’s vibrant vessel of delight. At other times, Lola was strangely elusive, but this just added to her mysteriousness and magic. Her ever-changing location made my frequent searches for food a campus-wide treasure hunt. She was a beacon of hope for all hungry students.

And, as evidenced by her sporadic yet strategic 2 a.m. fraternity row parking, Lola knew how to make money.

Lola also wasn’t shy about inviting students to participate in food giveaways that provided us with ample opportunities to enter contests for free food.

Lola’s quality food, bright appearance and amusing social media posts spread her personality all over campus. Her absence is horribly noticeable.

If the University is interested in expanding on-campus dining options, it should resurrect Lola and acquire a fleet of food trucks. It might not be possible for us to experience the food trucks a city like Nashville, Tenn., offers, but adding one or two more would provide students with more variety.

If the University brought Lola back and acquired additional food trucks, late night on-campus dining options wouldn’t be limited to Dunkin’ Donuts and Late Night at Lakeside. The University would also be able to continue expanding vegetarian options for students.

On-campus food trucks would provide students with convenient, fairly cheap and tasty food options. Until Lola returns – and I sincerely hope she does – I’m stuck remembering her glory days and searching for a food truck with a Twitter account as animated as hers.

Claire Chretien is a junior majoring in American studies. Her column runs biweekly.