NCAA gymnastics rivals face off in Tuscaloosa

It may not have quite the aura that it used to, but Alabama-Georgia is still an NCAA gymnastics rivalry not to be scoffed at.

The two teams have combined for 16 NCAA titles, including 10 of the last 16, and are two of just five teams that have ever won an NCAA gymnastics championship, with Florida joining that group in 2013.

More than that, the Crimson Tide and the Bulldogs were considered models for successful gymnastics programs.

(See also “The pressure is on: Crimson Tide gymnastics team sees record attendance“)

No. 7 Alabama will host No. 5 Georgia at 7:30 p.m. in Coleman Coliseum on Friday.

“All you have to do is go back and look at the history of these two programs,” Alabama coach Sarah Patterson said. “I think a lot of the SEC and top gymnastics programs in the country, I think so many of them wanted what Georgia and Alabama had. They fill their arena at Georgia. We can fill our arena.

“But that was in the early stages. Ten, 15 years ago. When you talk about 16 championships between two teams, there’s a lot of history and tradition there. And now I see that there’s so many programs within even the SEC that want to have that same environment. And the sport has grown tremendously.”

The rivalry sparked with Patterson and former Georgia coach Suzanne Yoculan at the helms of their respective teams.

Yoculan and Patterson were responsible for all championships won by the two schools, as well as building up the interest around the programs.

(See also “Patterson applauds student turnout“)

Yoculan retired after the 2009 season, and since then, Georgia hasn’t been the dominant force it was under her watch.

Still, the meet means a lot to both teams.

“They have a lot of history like we do, with their tradition and championships,” senior Sarah DeMeo said. “I know we’re both hungry to live that legacy. This Friday, it’s going to be fun. They’re a classy team. They’re fun to compete against.”