Budgeting college students burdened by excessive costs

During my freshman year last year at The University of Alabama, I, like many other students, had to invest in a clicker for some of my lecture classes. However, at the beginning of this semester, I was told that, despite the fact that I own a functioning clicker, I would need to purchase a new one. A new clicker costs around $56 at the SUPe Store, and although that does not sound like too much in comparison to books, a random $56 charge for an item that you already own is completely absurd.

To make the situation seem even sillier, I have sat in a class and watched my old clicker connect to the channel in the room and send answers. Contrary to the instructor’s word, the older version of the clicker does indeed work, which renders the purchase completely unnecessary. So to those of you who, like me, were told that you needed to buy a new clicker for your classes this semester despite already owning one from previous semesters, get your money back. Your old clicker works just fine.

Clickers should be universal. They should be able to work for the duration of a student’s college career, being that after most 100-level classes, one will most likely not need the device. It is simply unfair that a student should have to purchase a new device whenever there is a change in the clicker system. Who is to know when the next change in the system may or may not be? Not to mention, if the student already has a clicker and they purchase a new one, they then own two perfectly good clickers but only use one. What should be done with the other clickers? At the very least, the University should allow students to trade in their old clickers for ones compatible with the new system. This solution would allow for students to save a few bucks and also open an opportunity for recycling.

Another issue lies within access codes for classes. In many cases, a student is required to pay for tuition, course fees and books for a class. After paying these costs, students are often required to still find money to purchase an access code in order to do their homework. While there are some books that do include an access code inside, there are plenty of books that do not. This is yet another unfair situation for the student. My question to the University in this situation is, what exactly is the course fee and why does it not cover the access code a student would need for homework?

As students, we are always told that we need to budget. At its core, budgeting requires any person to take the time out to evaluate what costs are necessary and what costs can be delayed or avoided. In these cases we are told that we have to pay money in addition to what we already pay for, for “required costs” while the other fees go unexplained. College is far too expensive for students to have to keep fishing for money to pay for things that are unnecessary or not understood.

Erynn Williams is a sophomore majoring in dance and international studies. Her column runs biweekly on Wednesdays.