Alabama travels through snow to rival Auburn

As snow falls across the state, the Alabama men’s basketball team is traveling to face off against in-state rival Auburn University.

While travel plans have been rearranged multiple times, the team is still planning on making the trip. Despite Auburn not having classes on Wednesday, the game is still on. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Auburn Arena.

Coming into the game, Auburn (8-9, 0-5 SEC) is looking to end a six-game losing streak.

During the streak, Auburn has played its opponents close, especially at home. Auburn lost to No.6 Florida by seven and Missouri by two. But like Alabama, Auburn comes into the game with a great home record. All eight of the Tigers’ wins have come at home.

“Wins and losses, I know that’s what we all get measured by, but what I see is a team that plays really hard,” Alabama coach Anthony Grant said.

Auburn is led by a cast of upperclassmen. Senior Chris Denson and junior KT Harrell lead the team in scoring. They rank 56th and 43th respectively among top scorers in the nation.

It will also be a challenge if sophomore guard Retin Obasohan misses another game. Obasohan strained his hip flexor last week during practice and has missed the last two games.

“The soreness had gone down enough to where he could practice yesterday,” Grant said. “It will be a game-time decision.”

Having Obasohan back would be a huge boost. While he was in the lineup, Obasohan was the team’s second leading scorer, averaging 12.2 points per game.

While Obasohan was absent, senior guard Trevor Releford has had to pick up some of the slack. He led the Crimson Tide with 21 points on the way to a win against LSU last Thursday.

“That was all heart and guts in terms of his part,” Grant said.

Releford and the Crimson Tide will try to take that momentum to Auburn, where Alabama hopes to get its first road SEC win.

“It’s going to take everything we have to get a win there,” Grant said.