Snack variety keeps energy boosted

Vending machines are usually the first things that catch your eye walking out of your 2 p.m. class and into the library to study. The vending machine is filled with candy bars, bags of chips, M&M’s, sugary drinks and soda galore. Many college students fall victim to the stimulation of these tasty treats when hunger strikes, but these snacks will only make them want to go to sleep instead of giving them fuel to help them get their work done. Before reaching for that high-calorie, mouthwatering pick-me-up, consider changing the way you choose your snacks.

In order for students to avoid the afternoon slump, they should eat a wholesome snack that satisfies them until dinnertime. What is considered an optimal snack?

Lori Greene, a nutrition instructor, said a good snack contains essential nutrients instead of empty calories.

“Pairing healthy carbohydrates, a good source of protein and wholesome fiber is ideal to keep you satisfied until dinner,” Greene said.

Instead of wasting your precious Dining Dollars, try some of these easy snacks to take on the go.

Peanut butter and banana sandwich: 1 tablespoon of peanut butter with two pieces of whole wheat bread and a sliced banana.

String cheese with whole wheat crackers: One low-fat string cheese with one serving of whole wheat crackers

Energy bars: My favorites are Lara bars, Kind Nut bars and Nature Valley bars.

Greek yogurt smoothie: 1 cup of low-fat Greek yogurt, 1 cup of any fruit (fresh or frozen unsweetened), one serving of nuts and ice. This is also a great option to pack for breakfast on your way to class.

All of these snacks have a great mix of carbohydrates, protein, fiber and fat to help fuel your body and keep you and your brain moving for your next class.

The key to getting optimal nutrition is to feed your body with a variety of different healthy snacks. Therefore, your mind and palate will not get bored with monotonous flavors and result to quickly snagging something sweet from the snack machine. Even while snacking, making the right food choices is important to give your body energy as well as the satisfaction it needs to enjoy the rest of the day.