UA Dance Marathon hosts Chipotle fundraiser

Last Tuesday, both UA and Auburn Dance Marathon sponsored a fundraiser at Chipotle resteraunt in both Tuscaloosa and Auburn, Ala. Chipotle donated 50 percent of all profits that night to each organization.

The event was created as the result of UA Dance Marathon recruitment chair Rachel Coleman’s collaboration with Auburn Dance Marathon at Better Relations Day.

“The line wrapped around the inside of the restaurant, and people were waiting about 30 minutes to order,” Coleman said.

It was only one of many UADM fundraisers planned for the year, but this one was specifically designed to defeat Auburn during Rivalry Week.

“For the past couple of years, we have been talking with Auburn about the possibility of playing on the rivalry to help each of our dance marathon programs,” UADM president Katlyn Klootwyk said.

Although no totals are in yet, Klootwyk said she is hopeful.

“We were able to get lots of attention from students on campus, and I know a lot of staff members received donations from family and friends to try and help beat Auburn,” Klootwyk said. “Our Chipotle night was very successful.”

In addition to Chipotle Night, UADM is also sponsoring Koins for Kids, a campaign to allow professors and students to donate to children around the country. This initiative will be implemented at various colleges throughout the semester.

Gloria Kelly, vice president of relations, said UADM will be at the Feb. 1 basketball game and will hold a spirit night Feb. 10 at Glory Bound.

“We’re having a Screen on the Green event on the Quad Feb. 24,” Kelly said. “It’s sponsored by Cobb Theater. One of our committees is voting on the movie. You can bring popcorn, a chair, whatever, and Cobb will bring the backdrop. It’ll be just like a drive-in movie, except you can’t park on the grass.”

Overall, the goal of the week’s events is to raise more than $50,000, according to Klootwyk. All the money UADM raises goes directly to the Children’s Hospital of Alabama in Birmingham.

“We really relied on our dancers to raise as much money as they could this week,” Klootwyk said. “And we are really excited for our events throughout the rest of the semester.”