Quarterback Jacob Coker signs with Alabama

Former Florida State quarterback Jacob Coker has signed with The University of Alabama, coach Nick Saban announced Sunday. Coker reportedly spent the weekend in Tuscaloosa for an official visit and committed to transfer to Alabama Saturday night.

“We think a lot of Jake and we are excited to have him join our team,” Saban said in a press release. “He is not only an outstanding football player but he is also a fine young man who we feel will be a great fit with our program at Alabama.”

Coker was recently released from his scholarship from Florida State and granted the opportunity to search for his next collegiate destination. It did not take long for the Mobile native to fall in love with Tuscaloosa.

“I was very impressed with everything on my visit to Tuscaloosa,” Coker said. “I feel very comfortable with the coaches and the players, and I’m looking forward to getting started at Alabama and competing. I also want to thank my coaches and teammates at Florida State. I had a great experience there and I’m excited to build on that at Alabama.”

Coker will spend the remainder of the spring semester at Florida State to complete his degree and graduate. He must graduate in May in order to play in the 2014 season for Alabama. He will enroll at The University of Alabama this summer.

Coker joins the quarterback competition to replace three-year starter AJ McCarron next season, something he is accustomed to doing. During his high school career at St. Paul’s, Coker served as McCarron’s backup.

At 6-5, 230 pounds, Coker gives the Crimson Tide a big body with a big arm. Bruce Feldman, Senior College Football Columnist for CBS, spoke with FSU quarterback coach Randy Sanders about Coker’s arm.

“I’ve never had anybody with his size who throws it as well as he does,” Sanders said. “Jake has a really quick release with tremendous arm strength. Rarely does it not spiral or not go where he wants it to go.”

Coker saw action in four game for the Seminoles this past season and completed 18-of-36 of his passes for 250 yards and one interception.