Glow Run to benefit resource center

Runners will light up the town Feb. 22 when the Glow Run comes to downtown Tuscaloosa to benefit Tuscaloosa’s One Place, a local nonprofit family resource center. The race will start at Jack Warner Parkway in downtown Tuscaloosa at 6 p.m.

The cost of the run is $40 per person, and participants can sign up as individuals or in teams. The 3-mile course will have multiple glowing zones filled with dance mixes. Participants are invited to attend the pre- and post-race parties, which will have events such as face painting and Zumba.

Many students at the University agree to run in races not only because of the fun atmosphere of interacting with different kinds of people, but also because they enjoy running for a special cause.

Jordana Baraad, a freshman majoring in biology and a runner, praised the services that Tuscaloosa’s One Place offers.

“Because I am involved with Discovery Buddies, I have seen the great work that the center does for the children in the community,” she said.

Baraad said having a fun event for families to experience together is a great way to raise money for such a special organization.

“It’s one thing for a charity to directly ask for money from people in the community, but it’s another thing for the community to come as one and support an organization,” she said.

Madeline Gibson, a freshman majoring in engineering and another runner at the University, said she likes how races make her more determined to have fun and benefit other organizations.

“I like the idea of how the runner gains something for themselves, but also for a charity – that is really special,” she said.

To register and find out more information about the race, visit glowrun5k.com.