New year is a chance for university free speech

Last year, the reputation of The University of Alabama took a beating, to say the least. We were plastered across all the major news networks for our racially segregated greek system. The world saw the University painted as an institution that has not moved past its ways of 50 years ago. But it’s a new year, which means a fresh start. It gives the University a chance to become a progressive place that encourages diversity, a characteristic that a university is supposed to have.

Recently, the University was placed at the top of the Huffington Post’s 10 worst colleges for free speech. This list was released right before the new year, but it serves as yet another reminder of the University’s shortcomings when it comes to cultivating an environment that fosters independent thinking. We were not alone on this list, but given recent events, we stick out like a sore thumb. As the thought “of course” ran through my mind, I couldn’t help but feel defeated.

As a communications major, the First Amendment is something I hold dearly. I can’t say that I haven’t noticed how the administration hides behind “ground permits” to tailor the message that they want displayed. The article cited an incident with the Alabama Alliance for Sexual and Reproductive Justice and their counter protest against Bama Student Life’s “Genocide Awareness Project.” I know I am not the only who found it strange that it is OK to post gory images in the middle of the Quad, but handing out pamphlets was cause for arrest. This incident placed the University on the list, but it is just one of many.

In February, the Harlem Shake craze hit universities all over the United States. Tons of videos hit YouTube chronicling this new phenomenon, so of course the University would want to join. Everything was set into place, but there was one problem: the grounds permit. Also let us not forget the ticketing and threatened expulsion of the organizer. This incident sparked another debate of free speech. What harm exactly would have come from letting the student body do a three-minute dance? Would it paint the school as a party center or a place that encourages student’s creative minds?

We can cultivate a community of change on campus. It would be a welcomed change to be on the news because we are the school that let students speak their minds and express their individuality. We are a school that has deep roots with discrimination and prejudice, but with this new year, it’s time for a new look for the University.

Amber Patterson is a junior majoring in public relations. Her column runs weekly on Tuesdays.