Local experimental band to perform at Green Bar

Green Bar is known to residents as one of Tuscaloosa’s best venues for unique, original and imaginative music — something Katie Manos, lead singer for Junkyard Kings, values.

The band’s style of music ranges from bluegrass, folk and blues to experimental depending on who is writing the songs.

“There are really great bars in Tuscaloosa for people who want to hear original, live music.” Manos said. “Unfortunately, those aren’t always the most crowded.”

All five band members work at Surin of Thailand on the Strip. Show days are hectic because they have class and work, members said. It can be difficult for them to find time to practice before shows.

“We usually have to practice before we pack up or when we get to the bar,” Manos said. “Our boss is really awesome. There are five people in our band. Any night we have a show, all five people request off, and that can be hard to schedule.”

The first time Junkyard Kings played Green Bar, it was under the name Shrapnel Petals, which included Johnny Bishop on guitar and vocals and Wren Thomley on drums. Later, they acquired Manos, Graham Roden on guitar and Reid Jackson on bass. The name Junkyard Kings came from a former member who wrote a song with the lyric “asphalt heroes and junkyard kings.”

Being from Tuscaloosa has helped Manos grow as an artist in numerous ways, she said. Her first semester of college was spent in New Orleans, La., but she found herself missing her hometown.

“I have a song called ‘Queen City’ that is about a road that I used to live on,” Manos said. “What inspires me about Tuscaloosa is being from here — wanting to leave, but also loving it.”

Bishop and Manos both said they feel that Tuscaloosa has the potential to be a great art scene.

“It’s not the biggest art scene or the biggest music scene, but it could get better if people tried to work on it,” Bishop said. “An artistic revolution of sorts could happen because it is a college town. It goes through phases.”

Manos said the art scene is important because of forward progress and its importance to the community.

The next steps for the band will include having a more expansive repertoire of songs, being able to play more out-of-town shows and putting out an official album.

“We basically recorded the album ourselves and are stalling on putting out a new album for no reason. That should come out soon,” said Bishop.

The band has several songs on its SoundCloud and Reverbnation pages that are available for download. Junkyard Kings will play at Green Bar Thursday at 10 p.m. There is no cover.