Cooper has big day in Tide loss

Sophomore wide receiver Amari Cooper was involved in two of the biggest plays in Saturday’s Iron Bowl, excluding, of course, Auburn’s game-winning field goal return.

Alabama started the final drive of the third quarter in the shadow of the Auburn student section but drove the ball down the field thanks to a 54-yard pass and catch between Cooper and AJ McCarron.

On the eighth play of the drive, McCarron spotted Cooper streaking toward the end zone and hit Cooper right between the numbers. But Cooper dropped the would-be touchdown, and the Crimson Tide’s drive stalled after Cade Foster missed a 33-yard field goal.

“We just did not make the plays when we needed to make them,” coach Nick Saban said.

Cooper redeemed himself in the fourth quarter when McCarron launched a pass for the end zone into Cooper’s outstretched arms for a 99-yard touchdown to give Alabama a 28-21 lead.

He finished with six receptions for 178 yards and a score. He also carried the ball once for 28 yards.

Cooper surpassed senior wide out Kevin Norwood for the team lead in receiving yards with 615 on 36 catches.

“I told the team that I was proud of the way they played all season long and the way they have improved as a team,” Saban said. “We are very proud of our football team to win 11 games. I still think we have one of the best teams in the country.”

Foster received death threats from fans on his Twitter account after missing three field goals Saturday night, but Cooper’s drop cost Alabama 6 points.

The sure-handed receiver could have deflated the Tigers before the start of the fourth quarter.

“Stuff happens,” Norwood said. “You have got to move on. Life moves on.”

Mosley inches closer to UA record

Senior linebacker C.J. Mosley recorded 14 tackles against Auburn, moving himself into fourth place on the career tackles list in Alabama history with 313. He passed current Philadelphia Eagles linebacker DeMeco Ryans (309).

He is 14 tackles shy of tying the career record, held by Wade Davis with 327.

Mosley has cemented himself as one of the best defensive players in the country, but award recognition was not the reason he returned to Alabama for his senior season.

He said he wanted to get back to the SEC Championship.

“That’s the main reason I came back,” Mosley said. “But we have to stick together and move on.”

Clinton-Dix played through injury

Mosley said junior safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix played in Saturday’s Iron Bowl with a knee injury.

Clinton-Dix tweaked his knee in practice earlier in the week but went through pregame warm ups and started at free safety for the Crimson Tide.