Tide prepares for away matches

As the final matches of the season draw near, the Alabama volleyball team is preparing to spend Thanksgiving together in Tuscaloosa between matchups against Mississippi State and LSU.

“I think we’re all excited about the progress that we’ve made this year, and I think we’re all excited to keep competing for the last [week] because we know we need to finish well to like give ourselves a good placement in the NCAA tournament,” outside hitter Laura Steiner said.

Steiner, a sophomore from Fort Collins, Colo., knows all about progress and hard work. She’s had to split the load with Mattie Weldy this season. Still, she’s notched 229 kills, third most on the team.

“[She’s a] great kid, hard working kid that [is] pretty selfless in her roles, and she’s really done a great job of stepping into the role that we’ve asked her to do and split time with Mattie, and it’s not been a distraction or really not been a problem at all,” coach Ed Allen said. “For a lot of kids that would’ve been an issue.”

The team will play two matches on the road this week but will still be in town over Thanksgiving.

“In these environments, while we’re still competing, I think it’s huge to be able to still have them around,” Allen said. “I don’t think it’s a distraction. I think certainly it’s not a benefit. All of them would choose to be home and want to be around their families, but it’s just kind of a sacrifice that has to be made, and it’s made every year.”

This year is no different except the team will spend the holiday in Tuscaloosa between matches. That doesn’t mean the team won’t celebrate it as normally as it can.

“I think we’re going to go over to coach’s house and kind of have a Thanksgiving dinner, and it’s not that different because we’re all pretty much family,” setter Sierra Wilson said. “We’re really close, so it’s really just like any other Thanksgiving with your crazy family.”

The team’s last match is at LSU. Earlier this year, the Crimson Tide swept the Tigers at home. The match is always a big one when it’s against LSU, especially when it’s the last of the season, Steiner said.

“No matter which team is supposed to win, both teams are going to compete, both teams are going to go hard, and you can expect it to be not only fun, but you can expect there to be a big crowd,” Steiner said. “I don’t know, just both teams are fighting not only for their pride, but since it’s the last game, everyone wants to finish on a win so we’re excited.”