Alabama undefeated in home games

In the Crimson Tide’s basketball home opener against Wisconsin, the Tide women had to claw back from a double-digit deficit to come away with a narrow win.

Monday against Alabama A&M, the Crimson Tide preferred to go on the early offensive, which showed on a 10-0 start and halftime score of 36-11, ultimately ending the game on a 60-32 decision. Alabama won its second straight game and remained undefeated at home.

Forward Nikki Hegstetter powered her way to 13 points, 11 of which were gained after only 20 minutes of play. She finished 6-of-8 from the floor, with three rebounds and two blocks.

“I’m starting to post up stronger, using my lower half instead of my upper body,” Hegstetter said.

Alabama started on a 10-0 run before Taylor Sippial scored a jumper for the Bulldogs. After ending the first half on a dominant note, with a 25 point advantage, Alabama A&M went on a 9-0 run as the Crimson Tide outscored the Bulldogs 24-21 in the second half.

Alyssa Strickland led Alabama A&M with 10 points and three steals.

“I was disappointed in the second half,” coach Kristy Curry said. “We have a lot of room for improvement.”

The visiting Bulldogs brought a physical presence to Foster Auditorium as players from both teams often found themselves on the floor multiple times. Hegstetter battled Bulldogs forward Jessica Lowery in the paint, while freshman Ashley Williams also took part in the grind en route to a 10-point performance while hitting four of five free throws.

Freshman Oceana Hamilton scored 11 points and grabbed eight rebounds, leading Alabama.

The Crimson Tide will head to California this weekend to face Saint Mary’s in the Hilton Concord Thanksgiving Classic.