Iron Bowl stakes higher than ever

Before the final whistle sounded, before the Million Dollar Band raised its instruments to belt out “Rammer Jammer,” before the players could even leave the field, the 2013 Iron Bowl became the topic of discussion.

“Our focus needs to immediately shift to the opportunities that we have created for ourselves in the games that we have in the future,” coach Nick Saban said after beating Chattanooga. “Obviously, the one we have this week against Auburn is a very important game.

“They have a great team. They’ve had a great season. It’s going to be important for everybody in our organization to make a commitment to doing their very best job and play our very best football, because that’s probably what it’s going to take to have success against a very good team.”

Alabama dominated Chattanooga 49-0 Saturday in the team’s final game in Bryant-Denny Stadium this season. And even though the Crimson Tide players claimed not to be looking ahead to Auburn while preparing for the Mocs, junior linebacker Trey DePriest said Chattanooga’s offense was similar to Auburn’s.

Senior quarterback AJ McCarron said it was important for Alabama to have a strong showing after its less than exciting performance against Mississippi State.

“Just to get momentum so you get timing and everything else, it helps,” McCarron said. “It was big for us – us as an offense who kind of struggled last week.”

The Crimson Tide is going to have to play its best game to outlast its rival Saturday in the Iron Bowl, and the players know it.

“We’re two top-10 teams, and on the road at Auburn, it’s going to be a big game,” sophomore center Ryan Kelly said. “It’s really critical that this week we have a good week of practice and preparation for it.”

Auburn has turned a complete 180 degrees since last season after finishing 3-9 without winning a single SEC game.

The Tigers are now 10-1 (6-1 SEC) and will have the defending national champions on their home field this Saturday.

“We just know that they’re going to play hard,” senior wide receiver Kevin Norwood said. “They have a lot to play for and so do we.”

Alabama (11-0, 7-0 SEC) enters the game with more than just its undefeated season on the line against the No. 4 Tigers.

The chatter around the game has already started, and it will only get louder as the week progresses.

“We need to focus on what we have to do to win the game and not worry about the hype around it,” senior linebacker C.J. Mosley said. “There’s going to be a lot of hype, especially with it being the Alabama-Auburn game. We just have to do what we have to do.”

The winner of Saturday’s game will advance to the SEC Championship game in Atlanta, Ga., Dec. 7. This is the first time the Iron Bowl will decide which team advances from the SEC West.

Not only will the winner of this year’s Iron Bowl get a shot at the SEC crown, but it will more than likely earn a chance to play in the final BCS National Championship Game in Pasadena, Calif.

The players have a lot of respect for Auburn and what it has accomplished this season, but the Crimson Tide isn’t ready to watch its season slip away at the hands of its bitter rival.

“I really don’t care what their record is,” McCarron said. “They’re the next team in our way trying to take away what we’ve worked for.”