A critiquing university

For the past four years, nearly 50 students have had free reign to question and critique the state’s, and in some cases the world’s, most complicated and difficult issues – those of social justice or injustice. This past April, the Bama Theatre displayed this year’s crop of Documenting Justice critiques and cultural explorations.

The opening film explored what it means to have true community in today’s increasingly fast-paced society. While the ten members of “Common Ground” found emotional satisfaction by relying on one another for communal success, I couldn’t help but question the long-term future of the commune. When old age finally takes the community to the grave, who will be left to carry on its spirit?

Their escape is temporary in a larger societal context, yet on an individual level, they appear to have found some level of satisfaction unattainable in a larger city. The film forced me to reconsider my notions of community and ultimately my judgments as an outsider to their community.

The following four films continued the critical exploration of Alabama, examining Wilcox County’s physician shortage, neighborly interaction in Tuscaloosa, juveniles serving prison sentences of life without parole and the emotions of coming of age in a small town. For these ten students and the students before them, myself included, this experience of thoughtful dialogue about justice was both an opportunity and an obligation. As the thousand-plus attendees can attest, the power of social critique through film offers a possibility for a better campus and state by creating a venue for intellectual discourse.

Although Documenting Justice shows us one example of UA students who give a voice to the voiceless or who shine light on the darkest recesses of our past, the University must offer more students the opportunity to grow as thoughtful critics in an environment that truly needs them. Far too often, the education process is one of memorization, devoid of the intellectual wrestling that fosters growth.

To create an atmosphere open for discussion and thoughtful critique, a whole-hearted commitment from administrators, faculty, student leaders and community members will be required. A half-hearted focus to create more “chances” and “opportunities” of this nature will not alone be successful. Deliberate action, strategic focus and encouragement must be coupled with these attempts so that more students will be critically aware.

Documenting Justice directly leads to a more thoughtful and engaged citizenry, and initiatives in the same mold can help to make our University a “Critiquing University” – a university that is fundamentally a place for the free exchange of ideas, all ideas, and thoughtful dialogue issues that often make us uncomfortable. When this University refocuses on this goal, or if it ever does, students will be empowered and our campus, community and state will be positioned to create a moral and just society.

Marshall Houston is a junior majoring in economics and English.