That’s common sense

“We speak English, if you want to live here…learn it,” declares Republican gubernatorial candidate Tim James in his new campaign ad, “Language.”

The controversial ad has drawn harsh criticism and is being compared to a Saturday Night Live skit or a scene from South Park. In the ad, Tim James claims that driver license reform will save the state money and is “common sense.” On his campaign website, he also claims that a driver license test in any language other than English is against Alabama state law. Moreover, he argues that driver license reform is also essential to public safety.

Although James promotes the cost-cutting benefits of the measure and its potential ability to prevent accidents, the ad has damaged the state’s already battered image. Also, the legal fees the state would incur if the measure were challenged in court would undoubtedly negate any savings gained. Likewise, the public safety claim, though understandable, is wholly unnecessary. Most traffic signs contain pictographs and are easily recognizable, whether you speak English or not.

Equally recognizable are the real issues that James, who has never held public office, should be concerned about. Notable among them are constitutional reform, taxes and education. Alabama’s constitution is the longest in the country, laden with segregationist language, and restrictive on local municipalities.

Also, instead of a separate tax code, Alabama’s tax laws are embedded in the Alabama Constitution. This makes it difficult for local municipalities and counties to adjust taxes for funding of public projects, education, etc. Furthermore, the state has what is widely considered one of the most regressive tax systems in the country.

Finally, Alabama’s educational system is a state of disrepair. Numerous problems plague the state education system including a high dropout rate and a lack of sufficient funding, due in part to tax laws crammed into our robust constitution.

The Alabama Constitution, tax reform and education are the issues most pertinent to Alabama. These are issues candidates should tackle. We should elect a proven leader to the Governor’s Mansion with a history of public service, not someone who draws quick reference to South Park or SNL. That’s common sense.

Malcolm Cammeron is sophomore majoring in marketing with a minor in Spanish.