Alpha Omicron Pi to hold backyard charity auction for arthritis

In preparation for the first home game weekend, the University’s Alpha Omicron Pi sorority has been working to organize its annual Backyard Bash event, benefiting the Arthritis Foundation.

The Backyard Bash is scheduled for this Saturday before kick-off at 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. The event will take place at the AOPi house and will include a barbecue lunch, a silent auction and live music by Doctors and Lawyers, a Boston-based band.

The silent auction will include an autographed football by Nick Saban, jerseys signed by AJ McCarron and T.J. Yeldon, an autographed guitar by Miranda Lambert, Guy Harvey products and Alabama golf clubs, as well as paintings and jewelry made by members of AOPi and gifts donated by businesses in Tuscaloosa. All proceeds from the event will go toward the Arthritis Foundation.

“Arthritis affects 1 in 5 people in America, so we are happy to contribute to a cause that affects so many people,” Sammy Eastburn, a sophomore majoring in public relations and a member of AOPi, said.

Backyard Bash is one of several events AOPi hosts during the year to support its philanthropy.

In past years, ticket and T-shirt sales have brought in the most money from the event. The silent auction is expected to bring in even more this year because of the items that will be auctioned off.

“Backyard Bash is our biggest philanthropy event of the year,” Maegan Gundy, a senior majoring in elementary education and the philanthropy chair for AOPi, said. “Last year we successfully sold 750 tickets, and we hope to sell 1,000 this year.”

The sorority was able to get items from the football team and Miranda Lambert because a member of AOPi works in Nick Saban’s office, and Gundy’s father used to work on Miranda Lambert’s label, Gundy said.

Gundy said she is hoping these items will help draw people in to support the Arthritis Foundation.

“This event hits close to home because we have several members that have suffered with arthritis.” Gundy said.

This summer AOPi won the Excellence in Fundraising Award and the Excellence in Philanthropy Award at its national convention in Chicago, beating out all AOPi chapters nationally. During the 2012-13 school year, the Alpha Delta chapter of AOPi raised a total of $30,000 for philanthropy, $10,000 of which came from Backyard Bash alone.

Members of AOPi are encouraging all students to come by the event before the game and gameday dates are welcome. All greek members who attend will be rewarded with a Panhellenic point.