Campus needs new framework for solutions

I love The University of Alabama. Our success on the football field is how many people know us, but we all know there is much more to this special place. Our campus is one where anyone can learn and grow from some of the best thinkers in the nation, be part of the best debate team in America or engage in research with supremely talented professors. Our engineers and educators are the envy of the South, as is our knack for success. The Capstone is a powerhouse in nearly every aspect, and I’m proud to call it home. But objectively, this past week was embarrassing to the place that we love. We know that we are better than we were 50 years ago and yet the job remains unfinished.

Due to the extraordinary efforts of this newspaper, the national attention is gazing upon our Quad. Outrage pervades the airwaves, and calls for change are growing louder and louder. The time has come, and the stars are aligned. The only real question is, what do we do now?

The University doesn’t condone it; neither do the national chapters of the sororities or fraternities. Most students and many greeks think it’s shameful and sad. And yet year after year, the practice of de facto segregation and racism continues. Why?

The spotlight is bound to go away. The national media has the attention span of a 4-year-old and will lose interest. On campus, the anger of the moment will fade with the heat of the summer. Students will predictably complain about some other issue, and administrators will be forced to focus on another crisis. It would be shameful to allow this moment to pass. If we don’t act to solve this problem now, it will be back next year.

I propose we solve the problem, now. Instead of allowing a select few to decide behind closed doors, let’s do it in the public eye. No more secrets or silence. Before this month is out, WVUA-FM and other campus media outlets are going to host an event titled “Breaking the Gridlock.” We will be inviting leaders from all walks of life on campus and in the community to join in a roundtable discussion in a public venue. We will broadcast the event live over the air and solicit student input beforehand in order to make sure we are asking the right questions.

Instead of a debate where the participants are more likely to talk past each other without listening to alternative viewpoints as legitimate, or a forum where people are prompted to stick to talking points, “Breaking the Gridlock” will have a set goal. And that is to create a framework to solve the problem and move forward.

This is not just some pie in the sky idea. It was done on a smaller scale last spring for other topics including gun control, education reform and ways to reform the NCAA. In each one of those cases, some level of common ground was found with the participants. We can send a powerful message if our experiment in civility and humanity works. The problems that divide us may be great, but we have the ability to come to a solution. Isn’t UA worth it?

Rich Robinson is a junior majoring in telecommunication and film. If you are interested in “Breaking the Gridlock,” then send an email to [email protected].