Greeks cannot be taken seriously until they move past segregation

Around this time each year, something interesting happens. For a period of about two weeks, there will be a concerted effort by student media to hold the greeks accountable for their actions. It has become part of our annual cycle, like midterms or the gradual shift in seasons.

This year, having failed in 2012 to achieve any meaningful action on greek hazing, The Crimson White has returned to the more pressing question of segregation. Tuesday’s front page article addressed in-depth the extent and intentionality of segregation among sororities. Using active members of Alpha Gamma Delta and other sororities as sources, this article tells the story of an ideal greek candidate whose race barred her from admission into any white sorority.

The article, titled “The Final Barrier,” is brilliant. But, it lets greeks off too easily. It places the blame for segregation on greek alumnae, even though it acknowledges that alumnae can’t make recruitment decisions in every sorority. The real reason greek segregation persists is much harder to swallow.

Greek segregation persists because we all allow it.

Everyone at The University of Alabama knows beyond any reasonable doubt that the greek system is segregated on the basis of race. But we still treat it like a legitimate institution. Fraternities and sororities are showcased to recruits. They have land on campus. They have access to the University’s administrative and secretarial resources. Their events are covered by student media as if there’s nothing unusual about them.

We shouldn’t treat greek segregation as a harmless quirk to be chastised once a semester in the CW and then forgotten about. One-twenty-eight percent of our undergraduate population is involved in an institution that systematically degrades minorities. Everyone on this campus who cares about basic human decency should be in a furor.

So to those people, here’s what I say: Stop treating the greek system as a legitimate organization. If you work for 90.7 The Capstone, The Crimson White, or WVUA TV, stop talking about greek events, and don’t let greeks use your resources. If you’re an ordinary student, don’t go to greek events. If you’re greek, for God’s sake, say something! Recently, several greeks left their sororities in response to discrimination, and while I couldn’t ask all greeks to do the same, I also can’t speak highly enough of those girls’ commitment.

I’m sure some people will read this and argue that the greek system should have special privileges because of the good it does for the University and the community. But I can’t think of anything the greek system accomplishes that couldn’t be done better by a desegregated organization. Besides the larger pool of applicants, a desegregated greek system would have the benefit of some actual moral authority as it goes about its philanthropic work.

For all the greeks who are no doubt offended by what I’ve said in this article, this leads to another point: Desegregation will truly, honestly be good for you. There is a commonly held stereotype that your organization is fundamentally about the gratification of its members, and by giving you the semblance of integrity, desegregation will help to dispel that belief. This will end a long-running PR nightmare and allow people to focus on your philanthropic achievements.

Besides, greeks will have to desegregate eventually. Society is constantly progressing, and someday it will have reached the point where this kind of discrimination is no longer tolerated. If that day comes and desegregation has to be forced upon the greeks, they will never recover a semblance of credibility.

They might as well beat the punch.

Nathan James is a junior majoring in public relations. His column runs weekly on Friday.