ABC, local law authorities, UA work to enforce alcohol laws

More often than not, the people responsible for ensuring that underage students are not served or sold alcohol in convenience stores, restaurants and bars of Tuscaloosa are not uniformed police officers.

Enforcement officers of Alabama Beverage Control, local police authorities and The University of Alabama all play a role in the enforcement of alcohol laws and policies as well as the education of students and prevention of alcohol abuse throughout the community.

ABC began shortly after the end of Prohibition to regulate the sale and consumption of alcohol in the state of Alabama, according to the organization’s website.The enforcement division, which is the most visible branch of the agency, is composed of officers with previous law enforcement experience. The ABC enforcement officer job description states that officers are responsible for “inspection and investigative activities concerned with state alcoholic beverage laws, state narcotic laws, and ABC rules and regulations.”

Enforcement officers conduct investigations related to the illegal manufacturing, possession, transportation or sale of alcoholic beverages. The department of enforcement also regulates minor access and possession of alcohol, according to the annual report released for the 2011-12 year.

During the previous fiscal year, ABC was involved in 2,329 criminal cases regarding alcohol in the state of Alabama and conducted a total of 12,850 alcohol inspections and 4,477 minor compliance checks, according to the annual report.

ABC does work in conjunction with local authorities to stop criminal activity involving alcohol, Captain Clayton Gibbs of the Tuscaloosa Police Department said. However, authorities at the TPD were unavailable to further comment on the nature of their relationship.

Local bars in Tuscaloosa declined to comment on their relationship with ABC.

While ABC and local police departments have taken initiatives to stop alcohol related crimes, the University has taken several steps not only to prevent criminal activity involving alcohol, but also prevent abuse and detrimental effects of alcohol consumption.

Delynne Wilcox, assistant director of health planning and prevention at the Student Health Center, said the University has several educational programs set in place to try and educate students on the dangers of alcohol and prevent tragic accidents.

“We want to promote a safe environment and reshape the landscape around tailgating and alcohol consumption,” Wilcox said.

Wilcox said the University sponsors an online training course for all incoming freshmen called AlcoholEdu, a Blood Alcohol Content presentation, the Less Than U Think campaign, alcohol courses for students who violate the University’s alcohol policies, the Rising Tide Student Tailgate and the Red Watchband pilot program.

“It is all about balance and recognizing what you need to do while having a vibrant social life but not letting any other academic skills slip,” Wilcox said. “A social life does not always have to involve alcohol.”