Mug recipes suit dorm lifestyle

[wzslider info=”true”][wzslider info=”true”]With limited access to fresh ingredients and kitchen appliances, college cooking can be complicated. Often, students find it easier to eat at a dining hall or make a fast-food run. However, there are a plethora of simple microwave mug snacks and meals any college student can whip up in a matter of minutes. Let’s face it, eating food out of a mug makes meals 10 times more exciting. Using only a microwave, a couple of common ingredients and a coffee mug, any college student can cook a full day of delicious, nutritious and cost-efficient meals.

For breakfast, coffee cup quiche beats eating a Poptart or bowl of cereal. With just the right amount of protein from cheese and eggs to keep you full all the way until even the latest lunch break, this easy quiche is sure to become a weekday morning favorite. Simply tear one-fourth of a bagel into pieces and put it in the bottom of your favorite coffee cup. Next, scramble one egg with 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk. Then, add two tablespoons of cream cheese, shredded cheese and chopped ham to the egg mixture and pour it on top of the bagel pieces. Microwave the quiche for one minute and 10 seconds, and enjoy!

When lunch rolls around, ramen and cheese is the perfect combination of two college favorites: ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese. All it takes to make this quick, easy and completely transportable lunch is a package of ramen noodles, one-fourth cup of milk, and one-half cup of shredded cheese. To prepare this dish, start by cooking the noodles in a mug by following the package directions. Next, stir in the cheese and milk, and microwave for one minute for a homemade twist on two classic college lunches.

For a healthy midafternoon snack, microwave mug cinnamon apples put an updated spin on the quintessential afternoon snack. Rather than just munching on a boring old apple, spend a couple of extra minutes dressing up the fruit for a more flavorful and satisfying snack. To make cinnamon apples, slice one apple and add it to a plastic bag with cinnamon sugar. Shake the bag to coat each apple slice and pour the mixture into a mug. To finish the recipe, add a dash of maple syrup, cover the mug and microwave for two minutes.

For dinner, it’s easy to recreate the instant comfort of a homemade casserole, with a scaled-down chicken and rice mug meal. In order to prepare a personal casserole, start by following the package directions to make microwave instant rice in a mug. Next, add Italian seasoning plus one can of precooked chicken, and microwave for two minutes. To complete the dorm-made mini casserole, top with shredded mozzarella cheese.

Finally, put the cherry (or strawberry) on top of a day of wonderful microwave mug eating with a one-minute strawberry mug cake. To prepare this tasty treat, mix 3 tablespoons of strawberry cake mix with 2 tablespoons of water and microwave for one minute. Add a little flair to the mug cake with fresh sliced strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.