Melito optimistic for 2013 season

Senior libero and defensive specialist Kelsey Melito and various other fall sports athletes and coaches met for lunch at the Cyprus Inn on Monday. She sat down with The Crimson White to talk about the upcoming volleyball season.

Crimson White: How was your summer?

Kelsey Melito: It was really good. I actually got to go home for the first time in four years. I live right outside of Atlanta. I’ve gotten to go home but never for the summer. I’ve been here since before my freshman year and taking summer classes so they let me go home, and it was phenomenal. I took classes there and worked out with my strength coach from back home and was able to keep everything going. It was actually a really nice break to be able to get away. But I’m excited about coming back.

CW: How excited are you to finally start the volleyball season?

KM: I’m stoked, to be honest. The team’s really close, really competitive but in a healthy way. It’s been so much fun so I’m actually really eager to see how we hold up. We’ve gotten better each year coach [Ed] Allen’s been with us, so I’m really excited. I think we’re going to do really well.

CW: Have you seen anyone rise above the other players to emerge as a player to watch this season?

KM: Krystal Rivers. She is a redshirt freshman, very raw talent, but is insane. In the first game, the first kill she has, everybody’s going to be on board because she’s that type of player. She can hit the ball and it will go literally right in front of her. I’m really excited for her because it can be hard. Last year, she had to sit the whole season as a redshirt and not play. Not only is she excited to step on the court, but to see how her talent’s been controlled and how her talent’s been able to fine tune and get her going. I can’t wait to see the crowd based on her.

CW: You guys lose a player like Kayla Fitterer, is it easier for you to absorb that blow with a player like Krystal emerging like she has?

KM: No. It’s definitely hard because not only did Kayla have power, she had control and she had leadership. When we were in a jam,m everyone knew where the ball was going. Not only did she have the power to put the ball down, but she put it in the right spot. We have a very young team. Our outside hitters are sophomores and freshmen. That’s very difficult. But at the same time, they’ve stepped up to the role, and our coach is very good about preparing us mentally. Since we’ve been so competitive, it’s helped develop all the aspects [of the game]. We’re not going to be relying on one player, and I think that will help our game.

CW: What are you excited about most about in the upcoming season?

KM: The girls. I know that’s really corny to say, but it’s my senior year, and this is the closest I’ve felt to anybody.