Students camp outside Coleman Coliseum for Virginia Tech football tickets

Jim Kuykendall arrived at Coleman Coliseum at 5 p.m. Sunday night to buy tickets for the Virginia Tech game this Saturday, but the doors would not open until 7 a.m. Monday morning.

“It rewards the people who want it more,” Kuykendall, a senior majoring in criminal justice, said about arriving 14 hours early to buy football tickets.

Kuykendall was the first of hundreds who camped out in front of the coliseum, but he wasn’t the first in line.

“We stayed in the car, because no one else was here,” he said. Kuykendall gave his right to the first ticket up to Blair Ilsley, a senior majoring in psychology and pre-med, because she was the first at the door.

“It’s kind of fun,” she said. “But at the same time it’s kind of a pain.”

Ilsley and her group had board games and DVDs to entertain themselves, and a football game was in the beginning stages, but others had gathered with the intent to sleep. Many brought sleeping bags, hammocks and even one tent.

At 10:30 p.m., two UAPD police officers arrived and told the group with the tent to take it down.

“I’m sorry to pick on these guys, but no closed tents. It’s a security issue,” the officer said to the crowd. “If you guys behave, I don’t think there will be a problem.”

Student tickets for the Alabama vs. Virginia Tech game will be available to be picked up Monday at 7 a.m. and ends Thursday at 5 p.m., but students must have already opted in.

Student ticket allotment consists of 3,150 tickets, but 450 of those will be in the lower bowl. These tickets are distributed on a first come, first serve basis.