Cornerbacks look to overcome Milliner loss

With the football season coming up, The Crimson White will do a position-by-position breakdown of the Crimson Tide’s roster. Up next: cornerbacks.

Who’s gone: Dee Milliner (NFL Draft)

Who’s still here: John Fulton (senior), Deion Belue (senior), Jabriel Washington (redshirt sophomore), Geno Smith (sophomore), Bradley Sylve (redshirt sophomore)

Who’s new: Cyrus Jones (former wide receiver), Jonathan Cook (four-star), Eddie Jackson (four-star), Maurice Smith (four-star)

Standouts: Belue started all 14 games in 2012 across from Milliner, with 40 tackles and two interceptions to his credit. Fulton played extensively in 2012, making one start.

Outlook: Any secondary would struggle after losing a player like Milliner. Although Belue wasn’t fluid at times in 2012, leading to key pass completions, Saban has complete faith in the new No. 1 corner for the Crimson Tide. A more physical aspect to Belue’s game would complement Alabama’s secondary in the flats. After a trial by fire in the Texas A&M game last season, Fulton is determined to prove himself as a starter in 2013, as indicated in preseason.

Once Geno Smith returns from his suspension due to his recent DUI, he should see extensive playing time as a nickelback and should come off the bench in standard sets. Although Jones is brand new to the position, he could see playing time in dime formations this season. Washington and Sylve both have had solid preseasons and will be reliable reserves.