Cornerback held from season opener

Sophomore cornerback Geno Smith has been suspended for Alabama’s season-opener against Virginia Tech in Atlanta, Ga., coach Nick Saban announced Tuesday. Smith was arrested early Sunday morning for a DUI.

“We’ve never had an issue with Geno,” Saban said. “He’s an excellent person.When you make a bad choice, sometimes the consequences of that choice can really have a negative effect. Some of these guys don’t have enough foresight to understand cause and effect, but Geno has been a really good person in the program and just made a bad choice.”

Smith started two games later in the 2012 season and racked up nine tackles, including four solo stops. He also had two pass break-ups, including one in the SEC Championship Game.

In fall camp, Smith was a regular starter at the “star” position in Alabama’s nickel defense.

Saban said Smith will be permitted to play after the Virginia Tech game if he makes appropriate adjustments.

“We did it in the best interest of the player,” Saban said. “Hopefully, this will be something that will help him make better decisions in the future.”

The news of Smith’s arrest came as a surprise to many members of the team.

“To be honest, when I heard, I was really shocked because Geno is a great guy,” senior wide receiver Kevin Norwood said. “He knows that it’s a lesson learned.”

Smith and Trey DePriest, who was suspended for a violation of team rules Aug. 13, both apologized to the team in a players-only meeting. The apology was welcomed by the team.

“I’m not too worried about it because I know what type of guys they are,” senior linebacker C.J. Mosley said. “As young men, we know that we sometimes have to suffer the consequences for them. … [Smith] knew he messed up. All of them came before the team in a players’ meeting, and they apologized. We’ve all got their backs, so when they get back it’s just like normal.”

The leaders on the team, including senior guard Anthony Steen, said they supported Saban’s decision.

“We just all sat down and focused on what would be best for the team and what coach decided on – basically, just that this is up to him, and we stand by his word,” Steen said.

Smith is the fifth Alabama player to be arrested this offseason, after Brent Calloway, Tyler Hayes, Eddie Williams and D.J. Pettaway were involved in a February incident and dismissed from the team.

Trey DePriest returns

Junior linebacker DePriest returned to practice Tuesday following his suspension.

“Trey did everything we asked him to do,” Saban said. “He took care of his business and did everything to a T. He’s just got to work his way up the depth chart now by continuing to do the right thing and having the right attitude. Hopefully, he’ll make better choices and decisions in the future.”

Mosley also complemented DePriest’s turnaround.

“He knew what he did was wrong,” he said. “He said that once he got back the other day he was going to work his way back up to where he started from. We all make some bad decisions in life, but we just got to learn from them.”

Injury report

Several Alabama players are still recovering from injuries sustained earlier in fall camp.

Sophomore wide receiver Amari Cooper went through a full practice Tuesday and will be worked back into the mix, Saban said. Junior defensive linemen Jeoffrey Pagan and Brandon Ivory returned to practice Tuesday as well, and Saban said both should be up to speed by the end of the week.

Defensive lineman Wilson Love returned to practice, but sported a black, no-contact jersey. Saban said he should be OK soon.

First day of school

Wednesday marks the first day of classes for all students, including football players who up until now have been able to focus fully on football. Now the team’s attention will be split between class and practice.

“I always have a lot of compassion for the freshmen, and I always try to get our upperclassmen to spend some time with the freshmen and give them some attention,” Saban said. “I remember when my parents left me off in the parking lot and drove off, and I was away from home for the first time in a place where I didn’t know one soul. … I don’t really remember the first day of class, but I always went to class. I always went to class. I can’t say that I always paid attention, but I always went to class.”

Saban was not alone in reminiscing on his first day of college.

“I walked into my first class and there was about 80 people in there,” Steen said. “On the bright side, out of those 80 people, it was probably 70 girls in the class. I was excited for class.”