Defensive line talent mixture of young, old

With the football season coming up, The Crimson White will do a position-by-position breakdown of the Crimson Tide’s roster. Up next: defensive line.

Who’s gone: Jesse Williams (NFL draft), Quinton Dial (NFL draft), Damion Square (undrafted NFL free agent), William Ming (personal reasons), D.J. Pettway (dismissed)

Who’s still here: Ed Stinson (senior), Jeoffrey Pagan (junior), Brandon Ivory (junior), Anthony Orr (junior), Wilson Love (sophomore), Darren Lake (sophomore), LaMichael Fanning (sophomore), Korren Kirven (redshirt freshman), Dalvin Tomlinson (redshirt freshman), Dakota Ball (redshirt freshman)

Who’s new: A’Shawn Robinson (five-star), Dee Liner (four-star), Jonathan Allen (five-star)

Standouts: Ed Stinson is the lone starter returning on the defensive line, and it should show on the field. Pagan and Ivory have been used sparingly thus far in their UA careers but should solidify starting jobs early on.

Outlook: Linebackers Denzel Devall and Adrian Hubbard’s pass-rushing efforts all hinge on Ivory’s ability to clog up offensive linemen up front. Ivory has shown he can easily overpower centers, but it will be key for him to occupy a guard as well to give the outside linebackers and ends a chance to get to opposing quarterbacks. Pagan and Stinson will get the majority of playing time at defensive end, with Stinson shining on passing downs, showing his prowess as a pass-rusher.

As with any Nick Saban defense, expect the head coach and defensive coordinator Kirby Smart to cycle plenty of personnel along the defense. Pagan alluded to Darren Lake’s impressive strength in the preseason, so expect the sophomore to see plenty of playing time in 2013. Dalvin Tomlinson also has made a strong case for playing time, starting with A-Day in April. He will be effective at getting to opposing quarterbacks in 2013 when he sees the field. LaMichael Fanning was experimented with at tight end in fall camp, but the 6-7 sophomore should still contribute at defensive end.