Relay for Life held despite storms

The sound of thunder and the constant lightning on Saturday did not stop several student

organizations from participating in Relay for Life, hosted by the American Cancer Society.

Relay for Life is an event hosted in different areas in a number of states where members of the community gather and hold fundraising events, play games and walk for a designated amount of time.

“The event was supposed to be held on the soccer field, but we had the [Student Recreation Center] gym as a backup plan and moved it there because of the weather,” Melissa McPherson, development representative for ACS said.

“I am just excited that we are still able to have it,” she said. “In some states, like Mississippi, they had to cancel the event.”

The walk at the University lasted from 2 p.m. to midnight, and the rules required one representative from each team to walk at all times.

“Relay for life started in 2006 and has raised about $500,000 since then,” McPherson said. “Our goal for this year is to raise $61,000 dollars, and as of now, we are on track to do that.”

Relay for Life is a popular event, as it speaks to many peoples? experiences in dealing with cancer.

“I heard about the event, and it was important to me because my grandfather died from cancer,” said Rachel Wilkins, philanthropy chair for Alpha Omicron Pi. “I mentioned the idea of participating to some of the other girls and found some of them had been affected the same way.”

Wilkins, a sophomore majoring in fashion retail, who participated in the event in the past in her home state of Tennessee, said it was different at Alabama because more of the community participated.

“In this event, there are more students and I found it really fun to be able to be team captain,” she said.

As a component of the event, each student organization was asked to do some type of fundraiser that would either take place on site or before the event.

“We decided to do a game for our fundraising event,” Wilkins said. “The game is that you pay $1 to pop a balloon for a chance to win $20.”

Prior to the Relay for Life event, there was a survivor’s banquet that took place for some community members and students that are cancer survivors.

Cancer survivor Ashley Sparks, a freshman majoring in social work, participated with her sorority, Delta Xi Phi, which chose the American Cancer Society as its philanthropy.

“I am a survivor of six years of Acute Lymphoid Leukemia and this event is very special to me,” she said. “Someone once told me cancer is just one word and not a sentence. That person wanted me to realize that it does not have to be a death sentence for me, and it is possible that there will be a cure someday.”

Sparks said she was ready to walk all day in support of the cause.

Another cancer survivor, Lelia Huber, a junior majoring in music therapy, also survived Acute Lymphoid Leukemia and has been cancer-free for 16 years.

“The weather did not stop me from attending the event today, though I feel it did have an effect on the participation,” she said. “But I was going to be here no matter what. Relay for Life is a great way to help the cause and see people from all different groups contribute.”

Huber participated with Phi Sigma Pi and sold wristbands that read, “Ain’t nothing but a winner” to raise funds.

“Some of the members of my honors fraternity have had family members affected by cancer and this event is very dear to me considering I have been affected,” she said.