Parade cancellation disregards freedom of speech

I’m a GDI and I despise greek life. I have my fair share of friends who are great people who participate in greek organizations, but for the most part you are a bunch of egotistical sheep.

Now, I have even less respect for you. University of Alabama students have a right to freedom of speech and you’ve thrown that away by canceling the Old South parade. You have every right to play dress up and celebrate your traditions, however insulting and offensive they may be to other organizations on campus. We attend a public university and, while it may not always be the case, you are protected by the Constitution of the United States of America.

By canceling the parade, you have decreased the amount of power students hold. Our lives are adjusting to political correctness every day, and your actions have created a precedent for future students to look back on whenever they find any student-led or on-campus event to be offensive.

To maintain some level of freedom on campus, please resume the practice of the Old South parade in 2011. If you do, please avoid stopping in front of the Alpha Kappa Alpha house. As much as I would like to defend your parade, pausing during an activity that entails walking from point A to point B triggers suspicion.

Adam Morgan is a sophomore majoring in management information systems.