UA defense, Mosley to remain humble in 2013

The 2013 Southeastern Conference Media Days wrapped up Thursday, July 18, at the Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, Ala., and The University of Alabama stole the show on the third day of the event.

Nine Alabama players were selected by members of the media to the 2013 Preseason Media Days All-SEC Team. Senior linebacker C.J. Mosley led all players – offensive and defensive – with 231 votes from the 243 ballots, eight more than South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

Mosley said he was honored to have received the most votes but wasn’t going to let the distinction go to his head.

“It makes me more humble, to make sure I’m doing the same things that got me to the situation,” Mosley said. “Even then, it’s still just preseason honors, and I haven’t done anything yet. I have to make sure I do my job and keep others accountable on the team.”

Alabama head coach Nick Saban said he was pleased to hear of Mosley’s admiration from the media, but he is more concerned with finding more leadership to arise within his defense.

“C.J. Mosley is a fantastic player, has made a tremendous amount of plays, had a very good spring. We’re hopeful that he’ll have an outstanding season,” Saban said. “But that is one of the concerns, is who will step up on the defensive side of the field and provide the leadership.”

Saban and company are seeking to accomplish the unthinkable in winning a third consecutive national title in 2013, but graduation and early departures have proven to be tough to overcome for the winner of three titles in four years.

“It’s a challenge each year to reinvent your team,” Saban said. “You always lose good players. You always lose about 25 percent of your team in college, so it creates new opportunities for other players who may not have the same experience. It also creates new roles for players who have been a part of the team but now maybe have to assume a little different role.”

Alabama lost key players like Dee Milliner, Nico Johnson, Jesse Williams and Robert Lester on the defensive side of the ball, and they are all now on NFL rosters. But Mosley said it comes with the territory of putting on a crimson and white uniform.

“It’s Alabama. That’s why we have the players that we have,” Mosley said. “Everybody has to be accounted for their jobs, so if one person leaves, the next person has to step up.”

One player in particular who has caught Mosley’s eye this offseason is incoming freshman linebacker Reuben Foster. He said Foster has been stepping in at middle linebacker and calling out plays like a veteran.

But Mosley and Saban both said the 2013 team must approach each game and obstacle one at a time and not look ahead to future distractions.

“Basically, [our winning] keeps us humble, and it makes sure that we’re living in the moment,” Mosley said. “Not looking ahead to games or thinking about back-to-back championships or things like that.”