Vine offers video lovers new ways to create

Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets are being flooded with one of the newest forms of social sharing – six-second videos otherwise known as “Vines.” With everything from quirky parodies to personal updates, vines have brought a new medium to social media apps.

But Vine faces some competition. The application still lacks privacy settings, and Instagram just unveiled a new video-sharing app.

Unlike Instagram, the video recording app does not have a way to for users to choose who can and cannot view their videos. Anyone on the app has access to any given individual’s content.

Chandra Clark, a professor in The University of Alabama’s telecommunication and film department, said nothing is private on the Internet regardless of privacy settings. After showing a class an FBI office in Birmingham, Ala., the FBI later assured her that anything put online is a security risk.

Clark said the best way to ensure privacy does not become an issue is to double check with anyone who may be featured in your video, photo or update.

“It’s hard for the laws to keep up with the growth of social media, but my suggestion is to always ask for permission or inform someone before you post on any form of social media if it is not something that only includes you,” Clark said. “The impact of an unwanted video of someone is pretty scary in today’s time.”

Clark said Vine, as well any social media, addresses their forms of policy, but it is up to the user to decide what they feel is appropriate enough to upload. Clark’s advice is to not limit who can see what you post, but what you post.

Some students have taken notice and found ways to use the video sharing app in professional ways.

Katie Howard, a junior majoring in public relations and French, started using Vine in April for more than recreational uses. She used the app to market festivals such as The Black Warrior Film Festival.

Howard, who is also an intern with Creative Campus, said while this form or creative advertising is incredibly successful, the impact of using Vine to promote things will die out, just like chalking the campus. In addition, she said the app is more compatible than Facebook and Twitter.

“It’s one thing to post text, another to attach a picture and quite another to post a video – especially a Vine clip that is one six-second burst of energy,” Howard said.

Besides from promoting oneself, Vine also provides a way for fans to connect with celebrities, brands and artists. Many celebrities who have used Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to communicate with their fan base have now adopted the Vine app.

Howard said Vine allows celebrities to not only promote their brands, but also make a deeper connection with their fans.

“People using social media outlets, such as Twitter and Facebook, want to connect with these celebrities on a deeper level – why else follow them in the first place?” Howard said. “When celebrities and brands create such things as Vines, they allow us these connections, even when they’re such small video segments. For example, if you follow Beyoncé on Twitter, you know you’ll get statuses of her tour dates and public appearances, but what you’re really wanting is behind the scenes pictures of her tour and a Vine of her practicing ‘Single Ladies’ in a bathroom mirror.”