UA Outdoor Recreation offers students adventure

Regardless of a student’s atheltic ability, The University of Alabama’s Outdoor Recreation program offers a variety of adventurous opportunites for those seeking to explore the outdoors – ranging from beginner-level activities to advanced.

Stephen Middleton, the Outdoor Rec coordinator, is the man behind it all. Middleton said he is trying to break away from traditional, boring trips and give students something exciting and adventurous.

“All of our adventure trips are geared towards the beginner tripper,” Middleton said. “We’ll do canoeing, climbing, caving, kayaking and backpacking. Caving is really popular here in Alabama.”

Among the trips previously mentioned, the Outdoor Rec also offers bouldering trips and biking trips. And for those who aren’t outdoor savvy, bouldering is another form of climbing but without a rope.

Of those trips, the climbing and kayaking trips have been very popular over the past few years as result of the rock wall in the University Recreation Center, as well as a growing desire to white water raft in Alabama. Senior Ethan Nicholson said the climbing trips are one of the most popular trips offered to students, because it allows them to learn usual tips for the outdoors.

“[Climbing] is more knowledge-based,” Nicholson said. “You have to learn how to tie a figure-eight knot as well as what plants are poisonous and which ones you have to stay away from.”

Another trip that has grown popular in recent years is the caving trip. Middleton said the caving trips are only day trips and allow students to explore a cave.

“The tumbling rock cave is probably one of the more popular trips,” Middleton said. “It’s just a big open cave with really neat features in it.”

Each trip is reasonably priced to accommodate college students’ budgets. Day trips are around $30 for students, and weekend trips are around $125.

Student leaders and Middleton attend each scheduled trip to ensure there are no surprises for the inexperienced students. They also are first aid certified and ensure that safety is the utmost importance.

There are two more summer trips, white water rafting and canoeing, available during this summer semester and sign up sheets can be found at the Recreation Center.

The fall schedule for trips has been posted to the Outdoor Rec website. The schedule includes a kayaking trip, multiple climbing and backpacking trips, a mountain biking trip and a caving trip.

For those who prefer to stay in town, the rock wall in the back of the Recreation Center is open six days a week for students, and a semester pass costs only $15. Senior Shane Stephens said the rock wall is a good way to spark interest with the public.

“We have a few different types of climbing including top climbing and bouldering,” Stephens said. “It’s a little hidden because it’s in the back of the Rec Center, but since it’s included in Bama Bound sessions, it helps people know about it.”

The Outdoor Rec also offers a rental system if students want to adventure out on their own. The Rental Center supplies everything from cooking utensils to sleeping bags and then some. Additionally, the center also rents out canoes and bikes.

Middleton’s goal is to challenge the mind and body with each trip and rental service and raise awareness about the Outdoor Rec Center.

“I want to increase awareness to the public, and a wide variety of trips is challenging to people both mentally and physically,” Middleton said.

Senior Sam Bates believes that if students are willing to get involved, they can get away from campus and be adventurous.

“If students are willing to do anything, they will be excited just to get out of campus and do new things,” Bates said. “We’ve had a lot of people say they just want to try something new and want to get out there. They say they’ve never been backpacking or kayaking and just want to try something new and see if they like it.”