Senior Alexa Guarachi earns spot on SEC All-Tournament Team

Alabama senior Alexa Guarachi was one of six student-athletes named to the 2013 Southeastern Conference Women’s Tennis Championship All-Tournament Team, announced at the conclusion of the tournament on Sunday. Guarachi is only the second member of the Crimson Tide to earn all-tournament honors, joining Taylor Lindsey, who made the team in 2012.

“Alexa has really elevated her game and has been the front runner on the court toward the end of the season,” Alabama head coach Jenny Mainz said. “She hit a little bit of a rough patch at the beginning of the season, but worked through it, stayed the course and believed in herself. She continues to lead us and is very deserving of this honor.”

In Friday’s quarterfinal match against Tennessee, Guarachi and partner Mary Anne Macfarlane beat the fifth-ranked duo in the nation of Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely to help win the crucial doubles point. Perhaps her biggest win of the season came Saturday against third-ranked Georgia as she defeated No. 13 Maho Kowase, who had won 13-straight matches prior to the straight-set loss to Guarachi.

Guarachi was joined by Florida’s Lauren Embree and Olivia Janowicz, who was also named MVP, Georgia’s Kate Fuller and Lauren Herring and Texas A&M’s Paula Deheza for the All-Tournament Team.