SGA asks for donations for veterans

To give back to those who have served our country, the Student Government Association is asking students to donate their old textbooks to student veterans through its “Textbooks for Troops” initiative.

Students can bring books they have finished using to either the SGA office or the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs behind B.B. Comer. Sorority houses will also have bins for collection now through May 1.

From there, the books will be sorted and veterans will be able to check out a book they need for a class and return it once they are done using it, so others may use it again.

“The great thing about this program is that there is no wait,” said Dawit Solomon, a senior majoring in criminal justice and director of Veteran and Military Affairs. “If you need it and we have it, then it is yours. It is a direct line from student to student.”

The program was adopted last semester.

“We had a great turnout for a first-time program. Fifty textbooks were donated and they were utilized immediately by our student veterans, dependents and survivors. With the help of the student body we are hoping to triple that number,” Solomon said.

Will Pylant, SGA executive vice president, said partnering with Alabama Panhellenic Association to offer two Panhellenic points per book is a new strategy they hope will bring in more books this semester.

“Textbooks for Troops is vitally important to our student veterans and dependents,” David Blair, director of the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs, said. “Many of our students struggle daily to make ends meet and this program will lift a financial burden for these students in need. This program is especially important to those students who have extinguished their G.I. Bill benefits and are trying to complete their degree requirements. It is an honor to see the UA family step up and give back to these soldiers and their families. It truly means a great deal to these students and the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.”

The program is also beneficial to those who still qualify for G.I. Bill payments.

“I’ve learned that the process of receiving G.I. Bill payments is intricate and thus payments are not always made on time, which can keep student veterans from being able to afford textbooks,” Leela Foley, SGA director of media relations, said. “We are so grateful to our student veterans and want to help them out in any way possible.”