Leslie Jury leads Tide to 11-0 victory against Blazers

If anyone had any doubts about Alabama softball after Tuesday night, they changed their minds after the Crimson Tide’s 11-0 rout over UAB Wednesday.

The Tide had 14 hits in six innings after only managing 11 in seven innings the night before.

“What a difference,” head coach Patrick Murphy said. “Leslie [Jury] gave us a great start, one of her best performances, and we hit some very good pitchers. I don’t think they get enough credit usually, but I know that they’re very good. [UAB’s Lauren] Webster had their best numbers, and I think we had seven or eight hits against her in two and a third innings. Just everybody had really good at bats.”

Leslie Jury (13-3) received the win after pitching six shutout innings. She had five strikeouts and only allowed four hits and one walk.

“I think she had a little bit of swag to her,” Murphy said. “She had a lot of confidence. Her body language was awesome, and she’s done that all season long. She did it in the fall … She’s just carried into the spring. She only had one walk, which is key for her. I thought she pitched really well. They hit us pretty good at UAB. Just a great presence to her, like a look that ‘I belong.’ She didn’t have that last year.”

Behind Jury’s pitching, the Tide opened up the game in the second inning, scoring four. After loading the bases in the third with one out, the Tide was paralyzed when Jordan Patterson passed out and was slow to get up. She was checked out and appeared to be okay.

“It was kind of scary,” Kaila Hunt said. “She passed out. She wasn’t like all there. They had to go get the paramedics and all that. That as a teammate, you’re kind of worried about your teammate in a sense. You’ve got all this momentum to get the bases loaded, and then it deflates because everyone stops.”

After the scoreless third, Jury took the mound again to retire the side.

“Leslie [Jury] goes out there and shuts them down one, two, three, and it’s like we’re back in it so that was huge on her part to stay focused,” Hunt said.

Alabama found its momentum again, scoring three runs on four hits in the bottom of the fourth inning. Then with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Tide loaded the bases for freshman Leona Lafaele’s pinch hit walk-off grand slam.

“Anytime you have no errors and a shut out today in college softball, I think you’ve done a good job,” Murphy said. “It’s hard to shut anybody out nowadays.”

The Tide looks to extend its three-game win streak against Southern Mississippi on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Rhoads Stadium.