Director of ‘Seinfeld’ to sign books on campus

With a phenomenally successful sitcom under his belt, “Seinfeld” director Tom Cherones is still in the comedy business, only now he’s writing books.

Cherones, a Tuscaloosa native, has taught a spring class in the department of telecommunication and film for more than 10 years at the Capstone. He will participate in two panels this week to promote his new book, “The Hardly Boys: The Mystery of the Golden Goblet.”

As suggested in its title, the book is a spoof of the “Hardy Boys” mystery series. Cherones created a parody in which two 1950s teenagers awaken 50 years after being induced into a frozen coma, with the bodies of elderly men but with the minds of teenagers. Amid the baffling technology of the modern age, the elderly teens join their father, a private detective in his 90s, to hunt for a priceless artifact.

“Tom’s years as a comedy director serve him well in this spoof on the old ‘Hardy Boys’ series,” Ellen Traylor of Port Hole publications said in a UA news release. “His knack for storytelling and comic timing are evident in this fun read.”

The panel will be held in the Birmingham Room at the Bryant Conference Center from noon until 1:30 p.m. Cherones will host a book signing Thursday from 1-3 p.m. in Reese Phifer Hall. Copies of Cherones’ new book will be available for purchase at the signing Thursday.

“I think this will also be a beneficial event for communication students,” Katie Hall, marketing assistant for the Bryant Conference Center, said. “He’s obviously been out there, he’s worked in it, he’s familiar with the Tuscaloosa area. He’s just a very approachable person.”

Cherones has received many awards for his work as a television director and producer, including an Emmy, a Golden Globe award, a Peabody and a Director’s Guild of America Award. Before leaving the glamour of Hollywood behind, Cherones worked on several other television shows like “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” “Caroline in the City” and “Welcome Back, Kotter.”

Each year, Cherones teaches a course in which students make a 30-minute film. Anne Gibbons, a freelance writer and Tuscaloosa native, wrote the script for this year’s film and is in charge of coordinating the book signings.

“My brother and Tom were in second grade together, and I’ve known him pretty much all of my life,” Gibbons said. “He’s written this book, and it’s a very loving parody of the ‘Hardy Boys.’ I just think if you know the Hardy Boys at all you’ll enjoy it. Tom’s a good speaker and he’s a really funny guy.”