Students should strive to ‘get their money’s worth’ while at the University

This semester I finally started a project that I had wanted to start for more than a year, my own YouTube channel. But with no equipment, no editing software and no production knowledge whatsoever, I had no clue where to begin until someone told me about the Sanford Media Center. The center rents out cameras, tripods, sound equipment and more and offers programs like Adobe Creative Suite and a friendly, knowledgeable staff who can teach you how to use them.

Since finding out about this technological haven, I’ve spent my fair share of time there editing my videos. All this new-found knowledge and access to technology made me regret that it took me until my junior year to find out about the media center, because I haven’t been getting my money’s worth in my time on campus. After this realization, I decided to start taking advantage and suggest that any student who wants to learn or sharpen these skills do the same.

Learning a little more about programs like Final Cut has given me the desire to explore other technologies and programs to give myself a more competitive edge as a preparation to strike out into the work world. Of course, not every professional needs to be a tech wizard, but a little extra knowledge of editing or design software could hardly be detrimental to someone entering competitive job markets.

Getting your money’s worth by learning a little bit about the technological resources the University has to offer doesn’t have to be all about professional pursuits. The Sanford Media Center offers SLR training courses to teach students some photography basics and how to use a digital SLR camera. Right now, I am the most amateur of photographers, but with the help of the resources available through the SMC, I’ve picked photography up as a new hobby and have had a great time sharing it with my friends. If you choose to take advantage of the technology that is available, you might find a talent you never knew you had.

For me, the main thing that separates college from high school is the learning doesn’t have to stop when class is over. It’s not so much that I never made any attempt to learn anything that wasn’t forced on me by the educational system, but, unlike high school, I’m not required to be here. So I feel it’s my duty to learn as much as I possibly can while I’m here. After all, if I don’t graduate with at least 15 times the amount of knowledge that I came here with, why did I take out so many student loans? Aside from my thirst for knowledge, taking advantage of these resources has been a fun, challenging break from my academic pursuits with a productive outcome and without the guilt that comes from other breaks, like binge-watching “Downton Abbey” on Netflix.

Another benefit of taking advantage of these technological resources when you don’t necessarily have to, besides the fact that you are paying for them anyway, is it prepares you to take initiative to do things that you don’t have to. This will make for much smoother transition into the job world where employees are often expected to exceed expectations, as counter intuitive as that may sound.

As I suffer through my permanent existential crisis about what to do with my life, taking advantage of the technological resources available has actually helped me figure out more about what I actually enjoy doing and hopefully has helped me start developing the skills I’ll need to make that happen. So, if you are in the same boat and have a technological inclination, I would suggest thinking about something you have been interested in making or doing, and then take a trip to Room 205B in Gorgas Library to see how the SMC can help. After all, you’re paying for it anyway.