Sky Lantern Festival honors child abuse victims

Child Abuse Prevention Services will host its fifth annual Sky Lantern Festival at Sokol Park this Saturday in honor of children who have previously suffered from child abuse.

Iris Davis, interim director of Child Abuse Prevention Services of Tuscaloosa, said the night will feature clowns and magicians as well as games, face painting and inflatable bounce houses. The evening will conclude with the lighting of the lanterns, which may be purchased for $10 each to light in honor of someone who has been affected by child abuse.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website, 8,601 Alabama children in 2011 were victims of child abuse and neglect. In March, Mayor Walt Maddox made a proclamation declaring April child abuse awareness month.

“We hope to create a fun environment that promotes the happiness and well-being of all children,” Davis said. “All of the proceeds raised through the event will go to CAPS in effort to increase awareness about child abuse in our community.”

Davis said the Tuscaloosa Police Department will also have tables set up at the festival to provide more information on child abuse and how to report and prevent it.

“The mission of CAPS is to promote awareness and prevention of child abuse,” Davis said. “We want people in our community to have the information they need about problems with child abuse.”

Davis said CAPS handles referrals of alleged child abuse and sets up 12-week programs for the parents and children who are referred to them. They also provide parenting training at PTA meetings around area schools.

CAPS of Tuscaloosa hosts other annual events, like a 5K run and golf tournament to raise awareness and monetary donations for children affected by child abuse and neglect.

The event will take place Saturday from 6-8 p.m. It is free of charge. Food and refreshments will be provided, and there will be games and activities for children to participate in.

Fourth annual DCAF to host 12 musical acts Saturday

UA students return favor, help victims of Hattiesburg