Cultural Experiences hosts St. Patrick’s day event

Cultural Experiences, a branch of the student-run Honors College Assembly, will host a St. Patrick’s Day Hangout Wednesday.

Kaycee McFalls, director of Cultural Experiences, encourages all students to attend the event.

“We typically format our smaller First Friends events to be very casual,” McFalls said. “So the St. Patrick’s Day Hangout will be just that – a hangout. We usually have food, music and games going on, with the idea being that people should feel free to come and do whatever they feel like doing. It’s not scripted.”

The event is part of First Friends, a program through Cultural Experiences, which aims to provide a fun, casual atmosphere for international students to meet and interact. The event will feature themed activities geared toward bringing exchange students closer together in the spirit of the holiday.

“The St. Patrick’s Day Hangout is an opportunity for our First Friends members, as well as any other UA students who wish to attend, to spend time together in a non-academic environment and learn more about each other’s cultures and lives,” McFalls said.

First Friends is an organization that pairs international students who are new to campus. Together it and Cultural Experiences strive to provide stimulating atmospheres for new students to interact. This group has seen positive growth in recent years.

“The First Friends program has almost doubled in the three years that I have worked with it,” McFalls said. “The group hangouts are always a great way for the exchange students to meet new friends.”

Cultural Experiences has hosted events in the past that brought together exchange students in fun environments. Some of the events are centered on American holidays in order to introduce the students to a new culture while giving them a chance to interact with one another in a festive atmosphere.

“These events are usually based on an American holiday theme,” McFalls said. “So there is the added benefit of learning about how American students celebrate.”

The holiday events have had great turnouts in recently bringing students together from around the world.

Chloe Smith, assistant director of Cultural Experiences, said activities were provided to help break the ice so friendships could be made in an unconventional yet enjoyable way.

“Our past holiday hangouts have been very fun,” Smith said. “For Valentine’s Day, we did speed meeting – like speed dating for friends. About 40 people got to talk to each other.”

Cultural Experiences also hosts events for the UA’s Study Abroad program, along with other events around campus throughout the year.

“We also hosts Study Abroad Interest Nights,” Smith said. “We like to be involved with other cultural events as they come up through out the year. Last week we sponsored International Coffee Hour.”

These groups aim to strengthen international ties by facilitating a fun environment for the exchange students to mingle.

“Cultural Experiences has three major purposes,” McFalls said. “To encourage Study Abroad among Honors College students, to promote intercultural awareness through our Cultural Nights and to improve international relations on campus while assisting exchange students with the First Friends program.”

All students are encouraged to attend the St. Patrick’s Day Hangout and participate in the festivities.

“Anyone is welcome to attend this event and all other HCA events,” McFalls said. “Not just Honors College students or international students.”

The hangout will start at 8 p.m. in the rotunda of Carmichael Hall. Admission is free.

Gators, Gamecocks up next for Tide tennis team

Bama looking for redemption over Panthers

UA AdTeam wins 5 awards, Best in Show at ADDY’s