CI&S hosts diversity seminar

Responding to the rapidly changing demographic landscape of the nation, the College of Communication and Information Sciences presents its annual “Discerning Diverse Voices: Symposium on Diversity” with special emphasis on the 50th anniversary of the integration of the University.

The event kicks off Wednesday at 7 p.m. with a screening of “CRISIS: Behind a Presidential Decision,” a film by Robert Drew, which uses original footage from the White House and the governor’s office during the integration of the University.

“You see the actual officials behind these decisions, working in smoke-filled rooms. The story is told by the camera. You get a chance to see who the players were – the actual people, not just actors. This sort of film could never be made today, in the age of managed messages and managed PR,” George Daniels, associate professor of journalism, said.

The event continues Thursday morning with students’ poster presentations and research presentations throughout the day. Barnett Wright, Birmingham News reporter and author of “1963: How the Birmingham Civil Rights Movement Changed America and the World,” will conclude the symposium with the keynote address followed by a book signing.

“We established the symposium as a way to look at diversity-related research in the college and in the University. It’s very important to shine the light on research that focuses on diversity,” Daniels said.

The event is an opportunity for students to get out of their individual classrooms and see the work that is being done throughout the college and the University. It is also a networking opportunity to get involved with new projects and research, Daniels said.

“Employers and many graduate school programs are looking for students that can demonstrate cultural competencies in a global society. The Diversity Symposium should help students gain that knowledge,” Caryl Cooper, associate professor of advertising and public relations, said. “Diversity is all around us. There is no one-size-fits-all definition. The research and panel presentations are designed to focus on different aspects of diversity.”

Through the symposium, the college hopes to track and match the transformations of the nation.

“As our country is becoming more ethnically and racially diverse, our teaching and learning experiences must reflect that. And diversity is not just about race—it’s about sexual orientation, gender, religion, disability, and class,” Daniels said. “You will leave this event with a much different perspective on diversity than you came in with, I can promise you that.”

If You Go…

What: “Discerning Diverse Voices: Symposium on Diversity”

When: Wednesday and Thursday, March 13-14

Where: All events held in 205 Gorgas Library