World-renowned performer to speak on creativity

World-renowned artist Marc Bamuthi Joseph will bring creative discussion and inspiration to The University of Alabama Monday, March 11, and Tuesday, March 12. Joseph will be speaking at a number of events over the two days on creativity and collaboration in the Tuscaloosa community.

“[Joseph] is a world-renowned performer,” said Rachel Raimist, assistant director of Creative Campus and assistant professor of media production. “He has been featured on TV, has won top awards for performers in the country and has performed at the White House. The fact that he is coming to speak in Tuscaloosa is an amazing opportunity for students.”

Joseph is currently the director of performing arts at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., and has won numerous awards. He has also been named one of America’s Top Young Innovators in the Arts and Sciences and has appeared on the cover of Smithsonian Magazine.

Events will begin Monday afternoon with a Community Roundtable at 4:30 p.m. in the Allen Bales Theatre and will continue through Tuesday evening. Tuesday’s events include a Writing Workshop with students at 9:30 a.m. and a pedagogy discussion at 3:30 p.m. Both events will be held in 300 Mortar Board Room in the Ferguson Center. In conclusion, Joseph will give a keynote presentation at 7 p.m. at the Tuscaloosa River Market, which will feature a step performance by Delta Sigma Theta.

As a part of the events being held, Joseph will share stories of his own creative endeavors and practices. Topics of discussion will include finding one’s own creativity and inspiration.

Raimist said Joseph will speak on his concept of “energetic reciprocity,” which promotes teaching and learning as a reciprocal engagement.

“He believes that the classroom is a space that is ripe for creative reciprocity, meaning that every one is a learner and everyone is a teacher,” Raimist said. “He really is a spark of creative energy. He’s not coming to do one of his plays or performances. He is coming here to make us think about our creativity and how to better collaborate between groups on campus.”

Naomi Thompson, a Creative Campus intern, said she thinks Joseph’s passion for the arts and education will help to promote unity in the Tuscaloosa community.

“Creative Campus is dedicated to connecting the campus and community through the arts, and that is exactly what [Joseph] is dedicated to doing. He works with the students and educates them in the arts. They are both dedicated to working with people of all walks of life and uniting them through the arts,” Thompson said.

Creative Campus has reserved two Crimson Ride buses that will leave at 6:30 p.m. to take students to the River Market. One bus will be leaving from the Ferguson Center, and the other will be leaving from in front of the Rose Administration building. If students want to reserve a spot on the Crimson Ride buses, they can do so at creativecampus.ua.edu. Students can also an also sign up for a writing workshop Tuesday morning with Joseph on Creative Campus’ website.