Sorority to host step show

Celebrating their sorority, Delta Sigma Theta’s “Breaking Dawn: Let There Be Red” -themed Delta Week wraps up with events Thursday and Friday.

Thursday at 12:22 p.m. in the Ferguson Center Theater, they will perform a mini step show or “step tease” titled “The Rise of the Divas: And Then There Was Red.”

Thursday at 7 p.m., students are encouraged to dress up and attend “808’s And Skates: 90s Skate Party” at Super Skate. The week concludes Friday with a party called “Dusk: Divas After Dark” at 10:13 p.m. at Twisted Martini.

“Students should attend our week because we are putting it on for them. Everything we do aims to educate, inspire or simply entertain people,” Marilyn Vaughn, a senior studying broadcast news, said.

The week is not just about fun, though. Philanthropy also plays a key role in Delta Week. Delta Sigma Theta will be collecting box tops for Westlawn Middle School throughout the week, and collecting books to donate to the Alabama Prison System through March 22.

“My favorite part of our week is interacting with people at our events. It’s so nice that our events allow us to cross paths with people I normally wouldn’t interact with or see on a regular basis,” Vaughn said.

While this week emphasizes unity, Delta Pride, and National Pan-Hellenic Council spirit.

“There is a friendly rivalry between some of the NPHC sororities, and I think at the end of the day friendly is the best term. People in other organizations are our friends, and we wish them the best in their endeavors whether it be personally or academically,” Vaughn said. “The rivalry only really comes to play when we’re directly competing in say a step show or some other greek event. Other than that things are OK, and we try to support each other’s events and collaborate when we can.”

Baseball team heading to take on Cardinals

Men’s team continues spring schedule in Vegas

UMCH helps send foster children to Alabama