Rob Kemp designates Tuscaloosa a 2013 Tree City

The color green has taken on a new meaning since the April 27, 2011 tornado.

When an EF4 tornado tore through Tuscaloosa destroying not only the lives of people, but Mother Nature herself. Since this tragedy, people have recovered, jobs are up and running, but plant life is struggling.

However, on Saturday, Feb. 23, Rob Kemp, of the Druid City Canopy Coalition, designated Tuscaloosa as a 2013 Tree City.

Gene Ford, architectural historian, said prior to the tornado, there were many lush areas in Tuscaloosa.

“Prior to the tornado, parts of Tuscaloosa including Garden Downs, Hillcrest, and the Highlands were rich in landscape and the trees provided shade for the environment,” Ford said. “I have worked on this district before and after the tornado. It provided streams of conformity and closure. Landscape and architecture are complements to our environment.”

Deidre Stalnaker, public relations coordinator, said people like trees for a number of reasons, some for shade and canopy, some for the color and others still like something to climb and play on.

“Trees provide beauty, clean air and places for birds, squirrels and other critters to live. I often hear people say that’s what they miss the most in the recovery zone,” she said. “Unfortunately, that’s what will take the longest to return. But both the City and its residents are committed to making Tuscaloosa the best and most beautiful city it can be, and that plan includes trees.”

Mayor Walt Maddox said Tuscaloosa is excited about being declared as a 2013 Tree City.

“This declaration indicates that we live in a community that is concerned with its environment,” Maddox said. “We want to present a City that makes our citizens proud.”

Maddox said the city of Tuscaloosa is taking several measures to help preserve its trees.

“The City of Tuscaloosa lost many trees in the April 2011 tornado,” Maddox said. “The Tuscaloosa Tree Commission, along with Alabama Power and Druid City Canopy Coalition, will host its annual tree giveaway Saturday, Feb. 23 at the Mildred Westervelt Warner Transportation Museum.”

During this time, the tree commission will distribute more than 3,800 bare root tree seedlings and also a number of small potted saplings of several varieties.

“The City of Tuscaloosa partnered with The University of Alabama’s Arboretum after the storm,” Maddox said. “UA’s Arboretum allowed the city to store donated trees in its facility. We not only want to preserve the trees we have, but also plant.”

Professor wins award for psychopathy research

For one freshman, concerts a ‘learning experience’

UA professor links accents to Civil War